Trades Generalist - HVAC
Trades Generalist - HVAC-1802934
A Trades Generalist performs journey-level work in one trade, and skilled and semiskilled level work in a combination of other trades in the repair and maintenance of facilities and equipment.
Duties of a Trades Specialist may include the following but are not limited to:
- Working knowledge of methods, material, tools and equipment used in the craft or crafts to which assigned.
- Working knowledge of applicable standards and plumbing and electrical code regulations.
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations of the facility governing the activities of State wards under the supervision of the General Mechanic.
- Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment and material of the craft or crafts to which assigned.
- Ability to train and supervise others.
- Ability to plan and lay out work and diagnose problems.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, diagrams, architectural blueprints and specifications.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Performs preventive maintenance on equipment by: following directions from supervisor, work requests, or p/m schedules, including proper equipment shutdown, electrical lockout, timely completion of work, assuring proper restart/return or equipment to service, removal of old parts, and clean-up of area after completion.
- Installs ductwork and repairs HVAC/REFRIGERATION systems by following supervisor's direction or work requests in a timely fashion. Also, follows blueprints of design work that is to be done as per instructions while assuring completion of assignment is done properly and professionally.
- Performs repairs to HVAC/REFRIGERATION systems by following supervisors direction, blueprints and work requests.
- Following safety codes and regulations, wearing safety equipment and instruction subordinates how to work safely on equipment and follow safety rules.
- Performs pneumatic control preventive maintenance or repairs by following instruction booklets/manuals for controls or following instruction/directions of supervisor. Work is to be completed timely and neatly. Must keep supervisor informed of any problems as they arise.
- Arrives, departs from work in a timely manner. Adheres to proper break and lunch periods. Is available to work emergencies on occasion and sometimes works scheduled overtime.
- Keeps work area as clean and safe as possible. While performing work, must be courteous to other employees, staff and patients. Maintains tools in proper condition and is expected to report any malfunctions of tools or equipment by filing out work requests or unusual occurrence report.
Required Qualifications: Four years of full-time experience in a trade under a skilled journey-level position which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprentice training in a trade or training gained by the completion of technical courses in a trade at a school or institute may be substituted for the above experience on a year-for-year basis. Preferred Qualifications: Four years mechanical experience with 1 year HVAC/REFRIGERATION experience in the operation or maintenance of commercial type of refrigeration or air-conditioning equipment. Training in heating, refrigeration or air-conditioning gained by the completion of technical courses at a school or institute may be substituted for the above experience on a year for year basis. EPA Certification for Refrigeration Handling. Valid NYS driver's license. Hospital/Healthcare setting experience. Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: Trades Generalist
Job Field: Other
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: HVAC-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 7:00 AM - 3:30 PMHVAC-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Oct 1, 2018
Posting End Date: Oct 15, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG12