Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
SOM/Department of Immunology Microbiology
Professional Research Assistant
Position # 00050322- Requisition 15033
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Nature of Work:
A professional research assistant position is available starting immediately in the laboratory of Dr. Jing H. Wang, Department of Immunology and Microbiology, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. The research focus of the laboratory is to understand the mechanism of immune evasion in B cell lymphomas and head and neck cancers and to develop novel therapeutic strategies to treat cancers. In addition, we are interested in elucidating how DNA recombination processes contribute to genomic instability and tumorigenesis in B cells by utilizing cutting-edge sequencing technology and novel genetically modified mice models.The successful candidate will participate in the initiation and execution of the research projects and help maintain the operation of the laboratory (as a lab manager). Applicants should receive a BS or MS degree in biology related field. Experience and background in molecular biology, cellular immunology and animal models are highly desired. In addition, the applicant should be self-motivated and able to work independently and as a team member in a group. Please submit a cover letter describing previous research experience and current interests, resume including publication list, and contact details of three references to Dr. Jing H. Wang by e-mail.
Examples of Work Performed:
- The job responsibilities are to perform research work and data analysis in laboratory setting on a daily basis and participate in our group research activities as needed, which include:
- Perform experiments as related to research project
- Manage mouse colonies for the lab (including breeding, genotyping, analysis of mouse models)
- Review, develop and implement new or modified laboratory techniques required for research projects
- Trouble-shooting and problem-solving as related to the research project
- Analyze experimental results and prepare data for publication in peer-reviewed journals and for presentation at scientific meetings.
- Tabulate research data and keep a detailed, easy to understand laboratory notebook, and accurately collect and maintain up-to-date records of experimental data
- Present data and journal articles in a laboratory meeting setting
- Be willing to work occasionally with flexible hours
- Prepare reagents for routine laboratory work, and manage the daily operation of the lab (including ordering research supplies, restocking supplies etc.)
- Ensure that reagents (plasmids and other biological reagents) that are generated are properly documented and stored in the laboratory.
- Complete University laboratory safety training and maintain University certification to work with radioisotopes, hazardous chemicals, infectious agents, recombinant DNA molecules, and animals.
- Follow all University guidelines regarding the management of chemical, radiochemical and infectious waste.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's, or equivalent degree in Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or Scientific related fields.
- Animal care (mouse) related to research procedures
- Molecular biology work including gel electrophoresis, PCR, cloning and subcloning.
- Tissue culture (culture primary cells, cell lines etc).
- Genotyping mouse models
- Microscopic and flow cytometric analysis
- Computer software or technical skills.
Special conditions of employment:
This position may require occasional extended hours and/or time outside normal working hours.
Special Instructions to Applicants:REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3- 5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Jing Wang at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21577 - SOM-Immunology Microbiology
Posting Date: Oct 31, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: [email protected]
Posting Contact Email: Jing Wang
Position Number: 00050322