Professional Research Asst
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Shepherd laboratory in the Department of Pharmacology has an open Professional Research Assistant (PRA) position to implement a spatial transcriptomics assay for endothelial cells within rodent brain and lung tissue. This high parameter multiplexed RNA in situ fluorescence hybridization (RNA-FISH) assay will be paired with optically cleared rat lungs, automated fluidics, and a unique light sheet fluorescence microscope developed by the Shepherd laboratory. The successful candidate for this PRA position will be capable of managing rodent disease models, tissue collection, implementing an assay for multiplexed imaging-based RNA quantification, utilizing custom microscopes, and performing basic image analysis. Experience and background in rodent handling, tissue collection, immunofluorescence, RNA-FISH, operation of fluorescent microscopes, light-sheet microscopy, and custom analysis of microscopy images are highly desired. A detail-oriented, well organized candidate that can work under supervision and in a team environment and capable of following strict Standard Operating Procedures for routine assays is necessary.
- Bachelor's degree (BS or BA) in Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioengineering, or closely related field
- 2 years' experience working in a laboratory environment
- Must be able to sustain prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in the laboratory environment.
- Must be willing to work with animal models.
- Must be willing to work in a standard research environment that may contain lasers, electronics, fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, sharp objects, hazardous materials, tissue, and body fluids.
- Must be willing to work on multi-disciplinary projects with a biological emphasis.
- 3 years' experience working in a research setting with an emphasis in quantitative imaging methods
- Immunofluorescence experience.
- RNA-FISH experience.
- Fluorescence microscopy experience.
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python, ImageJ, and CellProfiles
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15031
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20120 - SOM - Pharmacology
Posting Date: Oct 31, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Orsund
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00627717