Professional Research Asst
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Peters Lab in the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus has an opening for a full-time Professional Research Assistant. The successful candidate will manage all ongoing lab activities and participate in various NIH-funded research projects related to substance abuse. This position is responsible for: organizing and maintaining a clean and functional lab environment, coordinating the activities of other lab personnel (i.e. graduate students and post-docs) to effectively manage shared lab resources, performing rodent surgeries, running behavioral neuroscience experiments, assisting with data collection and analysis, and brain tissue collection and processing.
Examples of Work Performed
- Performing intravenous catheter surgeries in rats
- Running behavioral experiments in a self-administration model of relapse
- Transcardial perfusion for tissue fixation and brain collection
- Cryostat sectioning of brain tissue and immunohistochemistry
- Data collection and analysis
- Preparing buffers and conducting histology
- Ensuring the lab functions smoothly: making sure orders get placed on time, scheduling shared lab equipment use, managing schedules of rotating students and volunteers
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Able to perform duties autonomously, as well as under direct supervision
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Working experience with Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Willingness to work with and handle rodents for research purposes on a regular basis
- Willingness to learn and become proficient in rodent surgery
- The successful candidate will have at minimum a B.S. in Biology or related field, and preferably additional training or experience in animal research.
- Successful candidate will be willing to work some weekend hours on occasion, not to exceed a 40 h work week.
- The ability to navigate step-stool, lift 40 lbs., and dexterity is required.
- Previous experience performing behavioral studies in rodents
- Experience managing and/or training other personnel
- Experience in a university setting and/or knowledge of UC Denver Anschutz infrastructure and resources
- Experience using a cryostat and/or performing immunohistochemistry on free-floating sections
- Excellent communication skills
- General knowledge of IACUC, IBC, SDS cataloguing, and/or SOP development.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15019
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20138 - SOM-Anesthesiology
Posting Date: Oct 31, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jamie L Peters
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00755929