Professional Research Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
Anschutz Medical Campus
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
NATURE OF WORK:
The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing a vital contribution towards ensuring our region's health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Colorado State University, and the University of Northern Colorado, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries
The Department of Environmental and Occupational Health has an opening for a full time professional research assistant (PRA) with an interest in environmental health, social sciences, and social justice to join our diverse team of researchers. This individual will work closely with Dr. Katherine Dickinson, an assistant professor with a background in environmental economics. Dr. Dickinson's research projects examine household air quality and energy in Ghana, mosquito-borne disease in Texas, and environmental justice in Colorado.
The PRA will assist Dr. Dickinson with interdisciplinary, community-engaged research studies. Candidates should have a strong background in social science and quantitative research methods, have strong organization, communication, writing, and problem solving skills, and an interest and potential to develop as an independent researcher.
Individual will be supervised by Dr. Katherine Dickinson, Assistant Professor.
Individual may supervise student assistants.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Project coordination, including scheduling meetings, taking minutes, and preparing meeting materials
- Social survey design and implementation
- Database management
- Literature reviews
- Quantitative and qualitative social science data analysis
- Manuscript preparation
- Data visualization
- Mapping and analysis using Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Preparation of institutional review board (IRB) protocols
- Development of funding proposals
- Community engagement
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong social science data management and analysis skills.
- Independent decision-making and the ability to manage a variety of projects effectively
- Self-starting and enthusiastic team player
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position has been established at $45,000 to $50,000. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
DIVERSITY AND EQUITY:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's Degree in social sciences, public health or relevant field
- Strong quantitative social science data analysis skills, including fluency with statistical software (Stata, R, etc.)
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to organize complex projects and tasks
- Master's Degree in relevant field (e.g., economics, geography, public health)
- Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Advanced data management and analysis skills
- Familiarity with qualitative research methods
- Experience conducting community-engaged research
- Grant writing experience
- Experience preparing institutional review board (IRB) protocols
- Desire to pursue independent research agenda
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to Katherine Dickinson, PhD, at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:A review of the application material will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants must apply online at http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact. Applicants must include: 1) A cover letter which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2) A current CV/resume 3) The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three to five professional references in a separate document.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21429 - CSPH-EOH General Op
Posting Date: Oct 31, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Katherine Dickinson
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756121