Professional Research Asst
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Adult and Child Consortium for Health Outcomes Research and Delivery Science (ACCORDS)
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Adult and Child Consortium for Health Outcomes Research and Delivery Science (ACCORDS) has an opening for a part-time (60% effort) bilingual (English/Spanish) Professional Research Assistant (PRA) to work on an NIH funded project focused on addressing disparities in early childhood obesity in low-income Latino populations. The specific focus of this work is on predictors and outcomes of early childhood screen media use. Unhealthy screen use is a known predictor of poor diet, short sleep duration, and obesity in children. Interventions addressing screen use behaviors are thus critical to efforts to reduce obesity disparities. Advancing our understanding of how screen use behaviors develop and are related to health outcomes among low-income Latino toddlers will provide the basis for developing needed early life interventions.
This position offers the opportunity to be involved in recruitment of both mothers and fathers of toddlers, qualitative data collection involving semi-structured interviews in participant homes, and qualitative coding activities. Work will occur at the following locations: 1) on the Anschutz campus, 2) Denver Health clinics and 3) home visits across the Denver metro area for data collection.
Job duties will occur during regular working hours except data collection activities are expected to occur evenings and weekends.
This position will report to and be supervised by a Senior PRA.
No formal supervision; this position may involve working with trainees.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position will require the ability to balance both independent and collaborative tasks and competing demands.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Recruitment activities in Denver Health clinic waiting rooms, including approaching individuals and introducing study opportunities
- Scheduling and conducting in-home semi-structured interviews in both English and Spanish with mothers and fathers of toddlers at preferred times for families including evenings and weekends
- Reviewing and verifying transcripts from interviews
- Coding qualitative data after on-the-job training
- Tracking research data from collection through analysis
- Participation in study-related training (human subjects, study protocol, interviewing) and meetings
- Follow IRB and human subject's protection protocols, including recognizing and reporting adverse events
- Team meetings focused on study implementation and analysis of findings
- Other related work, including administrative work, will be assigned by Dr. Thompson as required by the nature and scope of the position.
- Bachelor's degree and 3-5 relevant years' experience OR Master's degree with some relevant experience
- Spanish (written, spoken) language ability, Mexican dialect and native ability level preferred, with knowledge of Mexican/Mexican-American culture
- Strong communication skills and ability to get along well with families from various backgrounds
- Ability to represent the University and ACCORDS in a professional and positive manner
- Must be team-oriented, detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to work independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office software
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers, student researchers, and study participants
- Must have a valid driver's license, proof of valid auto liability insurance, reliable transportation, and be willing to travel throughout the metro Denver area as needed.
- Experience with qualitative methods and data collection
- Qualitative research coursework at the graduate level, including experience with Atlas.Ti v7
- Experience with recruitment and enrollment of clinical research participants
- Healthcare experience with patient contact
- Experience working with the study population
- Experience working with children
- Experience with home visits for data collection or service provision
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15039
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21628 - SOM-COHO Center
Posting Date: Oct 31, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kayla LaPerriere
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00755944