Sr Professional Research Asst
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Senior Professional Research Assistant/Project Manager
Adult and Child Consortium for Health Outcomes Research and Delivery Science (ACCORDS)
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Adult and Child Consortium for Health Outcomes Research and Delivery Science (ACCORDS) has an opening for a full-time bilingual (English/Spanish) Senior Professional Research Assistant (Sr. PRA) to serve as a project manager for Dr. Darcy Thompson. Dr. Thompson's research focuses on addressing disparities in early childhood obesity in low-income Latino populations. The specific focus of this work is on predictors and outcomes of screen media use in toddlers. Unhealthy screen use is a known predictor of poor diet, short sleep duration, and obesity in children. Interventions addressing screen use behaviors are thus critical to efforts to reduce obesity disparities. In the United States, screen use starts before age 3; greater than 80% of children less than 3 years old use screen devices (e.g. television (TV), tablet). Thus, screen use interventions must begin before age 3. Yet, there is a lack of information on both the predictors and outcomes of very early childhood screen use, limiting intervention development. Advancing our understanding of how screen use behaviors develop and are related to health outcomes among low-income Latino children less than 3 years old will provide the basis for developing needed early life interventions.
This position offers the opportunity to oversee projects from start to finish, supervise research assistants and trainees, as well as be involved in recruitment and data collection activities. Work will primarily occur on the Anschutz campus with time also spent at Denver Health clinics and in home visits for data collection across the Denver metro area. Study activities include both qualitative and quantitative methodologies. The majority of job tasks will fall within typical work hours, but data collection activities are expected to occur evenings and weekends.
This position will report to Darcy Thompson MD, MPH and will involve supervising research assistants and trainees involved in the research.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position encompasses a wide variety of responsibilities and will require the ability to balance both independent and collaborative tasks and competing demands. Furthermore, the position will require some availability evenings and weekends.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Project initiation (e.g. IRB approval, Clinical Trial registration, research staff training, creating manuals of operation)
- Project planning/coordination (e.g. schedules, project meetings)
- Project execution (e.g. carrying-out/overseeing daily research activities, stakeholder engagement activities, team communication activities, coding qualitative interviews)
- Monitoring/controlling (e.g. tracking budgets, managing and tracking data collection and protocol adherence, developing status reports for the PI, regulatory reporting, data quality assurance activities, reporting to funding organization, performance management of PRAs/trainees)
- Interpretation and dissemination of findings (e.g. literature reviews, qualitative data analysis, manuscript drafting)
- In-clinic recruitment/data collection at home visits as needed (e.g. qualitative interviews, survey administration, accelerometers).
- Communicating across the investigative, study, and ACCORDS team.
- Other related work will be assigned by Dr. Thompson as required by the nature and scope of the position.
- Master's Degree in a related field plus 3+ years experience in research field OR Bachelor's degree and 7+ years relevant experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (verbal, reading, written)
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent skills in various computer software platforms and their integration
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers, student researchers, and study participants
- Ability to represent the University and ACCORDS in a professional and positive manner
- Must be team-oriented and able to work independently
- Experience supervising
- Must have a valid driver's license, proof of valid auto liability insurance, reliable transportation, and be willing to travel throughout the metro Denver area as needed.
- Project/program management experience
- Experience with qualitative methods and data collection using interviews, diaries, and surveys
- Experience with home visits for data collection or service provision
- Experience working with the study population
- Experience working in an academic setting
- Experience working in clinical settings
- Experience using REDCaps
- Intrinsically motivated and assertive with ideas
- Flexible and innovative thinker
- Thrives on the challenges encountered in fluid, complex, high opportunity environments
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15043
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21628 - SOM-COHO Center
Posting Date: Oct 31, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kayla LaPerriere
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00755945