Mechanical Engineer, Facilities
Requisition # 2018-9541
Department PPPL Facilities
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL), a world-renowned fusion energy research center under contract with the U.S. Department of Energy, has the following opening. PPPL is seeking the services of a Mechanical Engineer with experience in HVAC, water systems, controls and facilities design in a research laboratory or commercial facility. Candidates should also have experience in chiller plant and steam generating systems and supervising the engineering and construction of projects.
- Responsible for compliance to PPPL's Integrated Safety Management process for contractors and PPPL employees
- Capable of performing building heating and cooling calculations,
- Capable of performing air flow duct and pressure drop calculations.
- Capable of performing system sizing calculations.
- Evaluate and provide engineering direction to maintain existing equipment including the preparation of operating and maintenance procedures.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on HVAC issues.
- Prepare contract documents (Statements of Work) for HVAC related projects.
- Sufficiently strong knowledge of HVAC systems to develop, present and defend HVAC designs during peer, preliminary and final design reviews.
- Prepare design and construction cost estimates based upon industry standards (e.g. RS MEANS)
- Possess knowledge of building mechanical systems, building envelope design and maintenance of equipment is required.
- Have the ability to read and understand P&ID's, control strategies and development of control schematics based upon the documents.
- Ability to work independently to complete routine tasks.
- Position will be a Princeton Technical Representative, responsible for ensuring contractors perform construction according to contract documents and to quality standards.
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral are essential, must be self-motivated and have a proactive approach to solving programs, excellent computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and AutoCAD. A valid driver license is required. Knowledge of Department of Energy, and General Service Administration (GSA) regulations or similar is desired.
- The successful candidate should have the ability to lift 50 pounds, have the ability to work in confined spaces and from elevated platforms, scaffolding and ladders.
- Other work as assigned.
- The successful candidate will possess a minimum of a BSME (advanced degree preferred) with a minimum of 7 years of experience working with HVAC and utility (cooling water, chilled water) projects.
- Membership in professional engineering organization recommended (ASHRAE or other similar organization).
- LEEP AP credentials and knowledge of Revit/CAD systems a plus.
- PE registration is required.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.