Undergraduate Graduation Evaluator and Training Specialist
Job ID: 24814
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3084
Department: Office of the Registrar
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Salary Range: $4,554/month - $6,488/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Associate Registrar for Undergraduate Graduation Evaluation and receiving work lead direction from the Lead Undergraduate Graduation Evaluator, the Undergraduate Graduation Evaluator and Training Specialist is responsible for processes related to the graduation candidacy verification, evaluating graduation requirements have been met, communicating results and awarding degrees. This position provides audit and analysis for students attempting to complete Title 5, CSU and University requirements relating to undergraduate baccalaureate degree requirements which require professional judgment. This position also serves as a lead liaison to the college success centers and campus departments in providing degree related information to assist the advisors with effective advising of university, major, minor, residency and honors requirements. The objective in all interactions is to provide timely and quality customer service and information regarding policies and procedures, to develop and recommend solutions which will address issues, and to establish cordial and collegial relationships with those contacting the Office of the Registrar. This position develops and leads graduation workshops and trainings to graduating students and advisors in academic departments and success centers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluates and verifies degree requirements based on established university policies and
procedures. Awards degrees based upon verification of degree requirements.
- Notifies students of evaluation results.
- Provides appropriate recommendations for solutions to satisfy outstanding requirements, while
explaining relevant policies, regulations, and procedures. Refers students to departments and
success centers for inquiries.
- Provides information to students on complex issues relevant to transfer credit and graduation
requirements (GPA, GE, catalog rights, etc).
- Calculates major/minor GPA to inform students of deficiencies.
- Reviews academic documents, assisting students in appropriate appeal processes when
asked for assistance, and providing information on required requirements in person and by
phone, email, and message communications.
- Responsible for originating graduation files from students submitting graduation applications
and the day-to-day maintenance of those records.
- Responsible for extensive research of archived records of returning students to determine if a
degree was conferred. Communicates with student with degree completion requirements.
- Responds to inquiries from advisors and faculty as received.
- Assists students to independently monitor their progress towards achieving their educational
- Recommends action on Undergraduate Studies petitions after analysis of complex records
involving excess units or other records related issues; however, Undergraduate Studies makes
- Develops and leads graduation workshops for graduating students.
- Responsible for the accuracy of diplomas and its timely distribution upon conferment of degrees.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related and three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
- Master's Degree
- 6 years of professional work experience in a higher education environment in areas of
operations such as records, graduation, admissions, advising in a large size institution.
- Experience involving data review and analysis in a fast paced environment.
- Experience in collaborative activities within and across departments.
- Training experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to effectively interact with diverse students and employees.
- Knowledge of methods, procedures, practices, and activities of all California State University
and SJSU admission requirements and policies.
- Ability to provide timely and accurate responses, manage multiple priorities and track
- Ability to logically reason and analyze data to make informed decisions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive communications with students, parents,
staff, faculty and external agencies.
- Ability to identify problems and find resolutions in an efficient manner.
- Ability to utilizes or learn to utilize CMS for record keeping and to rerieve information.
- Knowledge of technical databases and programs for word documents, databases,
communication tools, spreadsheets, etc.
- Ability to develop and lead presentations and workshops.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive communications with students, parents, employees and external
- Ability to apply knowledge of CSU policies and procedures as expressed in Title 5 and
Chancellor's Office executive orders as well as SJSU's academic policies and procedures to
individual situations regarding admission.
- Ability to take initiative and is resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in
implementing long-range program improvements.
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required.
- Ability to recognize multicultural, multi-gendered, and multi-aged value systems and work
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Knowledge of technology and software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet,
database management, and communication tools.
- Ability to learn PeopleSoft.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment. Must plan and execute multiple
work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and
- Ability to identify conflict, problem solve, and resolve student problems and concerns in the
most efficient manner possible.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement small and large scale events to promote a welcoming
and inclusive environment for nonresident students.
- Familiarity with FERPA and data security best practices.
October 31, 2018
Application Screening begins November 15, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046