Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 11-01-2018
To assist the payroll manager in the accounting and processing of all university payrolls. This includes assuring compliance with accepted accounting procedures and principles, maintenance of proper records, filing of required reports, maintenance of payroll/personnel system, coordinating computer schedules, and production and maintenance of all operating procedures. To assist the payroll manager in the timely evaluation and/or change in existing computer programs and the development of new programs that address changing regulatory requirements and the evolutionary needs of the university.
1. Any one or combination of the following types of preparation as approved by Human Resources:
(a) Bachelor's degree that included (or was supplemented by) twelve (12) semester hours of credit in accountancy; OR
(b) Three (3) years of progressively more responsible experience and/or on-the-job training that provided a knowledge of generally accepted principles, theories, and practices used in accountancy.
2. Two (2) years of additional work experience in professional level accounting work (an advanced degree in accountancy or registration as a CPA may be substituted for one (1) year of professional experience).
3. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Experience preparing and maintaining accurate records and using pertinent software applications.
2. Knowledge to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percentages, and/or ratios; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: principles and techniques involved in payroll preparation, monitoring and control; payroll related accounting practices; labor contracts and their impact on payroll; and other applicable State and Federal laws.
3. Ability to lead and participate in a number of activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use job- related equipment.
4. Flexibility to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances. Ability to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups.
5. Experience in analyzing data using defined but different processes and operating office equipment using defined methods. Problem solving and ability to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data frequently requires independent interpretation of guidelines.
6. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; and working as part of a team with detailed information/data and frequent interruptions.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.