Director, Brand Editorial
Hyde Park Campus
71684 UChicago Creative
About the Unit
UChicago Creative is the in-house agency at the University of Chicago. Like the community we're part of, we are a team of creative thinkers who thrive on challenges and excel at producing innovative solutions. Our expertise spans strategic assessment and brand positioning to creative direction and development to production and distribution. We partner with departments and units across campus to create communications that reach their goals while advancing the University's reputation. We capture the voice and vision of the University through a variety of media, including print, photography, video, and digital media. We address a full spectrum of creative challenges and develop solutions that may include a simple postcard to a fully integrated marketing campaign.
Leading the editorial team within UChicago Creative, the Director, Editorial serves as part of the senior staff at UChicago Creative, collaborating with design, photography, and multimedia to develop and deliver cohesive communications across all media. This role is responsible for conceiving, writing, editing, and managing a wide range of print and digital communications, including brand positioning, communications plans, and naming and taglines, long-form feature writing, event and advertising campaigns, video scripts, and a variety of other editorial content and marketing communications deliverables.
The Director, Editorial supervises the editorial team, currently consisting of a Senior Editor and a Writer, with strategic and creative editorial guidance and feedback on projects in progress; manages the editorial process, workload, and workflow; and maintains UChicago Creative's editorial guidelines and standards. Together, the editorial team will create compelling content that raises the University's profile, adheres to and promotes the University's brand pillars, meets strategic goals, translates complex research into accessible communications tools, and stewards the University's voice for a range of audiences.
The ideal candidate will admirably represent UChicago Creative and University Communications in developing and maintaining successful relationships with senior level clients from across the University of Chicago. This person will bring a high level of creativity, strategic thinking, a journalistic attention to detail, and the ability to brainstorm and develop projects collaboratively as a crucial member of a creative team. In addition, the Director, Editorial should have a strong grasp of production workflow, the ability to develop creative solutions, and the skills to uphold departmental quality control measures.
- As a brand ambassador and key stakeholder, contribute to and uphold the University's brand pillars and messaging map, ensuring adherence in creative communications
- Develop content strategy based on a unit's or client's business objectives and an audience or end user's needs. In partnership with interaction designers, oversee content guidelines for University websites.
- Produce client proposals, assembling key content to pitch UChicago Creative to prospective client partners.
- Build strong client relations through superb client communications and presentations, a client-centric attitude, and a mind for positioning and communications strategy.
- Lead internal creative process, ushering projects to completion
- Supervise the work of the Senior Editor and Writer and monitor team project capacity, supervising freelance writers as needed.
- Research and communicate complex University of Chicago topics, including faculty research and University history and culture. This may include conducting one-on-one interviews as well as leading focus groups.
- Write creative content for a variety of media, including messaging platforms, names and taglines, integrated campaigns, brochures, video scripts, websites, social media.
- Work seamlessly with graphic designers, conceiving editorial and design concepts in tandem and allowing for design to inform editorial and vice-versa.
- Superior writing and editorial skills with a high degree of creativity required
- Demonstrated ability to write for established brands preferred
- Familiarity with design and print production process preferred
- Ability to engage with faculty research across a range of disciplines required
- Excellent client service orientation required
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proficient in content management systems
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and multi-task in fast-paced environment
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Master's degree preferred
- At least 10 years of professional experience in communications, journalism, English, or a related field required
- Experience writing for the web and other digital media required
- Nonprofit or higher education communications experience preferred
Licenses and Certifications:
- Trained in The Chicago Manual of Style; editing certificate from the University of Chicago Graham School of Continuing Studies preferred
All required documents must be submitted to be considered for this position
- Cover Letter
- Reference list
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/