1. Answers the telephone, e-mail and voice mail and greets people by assisting, answering questions, taking messages or referring to the appropriate person while maintaining a welcoming reception.
2. Produces correspondence, tests, handouts, etc. for faculty members as needed.
3. Copies tests, exams, handouts and other items as needed for classes and the department.
4. Maintains budget/expenditure records for faculty, department and study abroad program(s) by:
- prepares paperwork for payments and/ or transfers
- maintains faculty and departmental credit cards and reconciling charges monthly
- reports status of expenditures versus budget monthly to department chair
- assists faculty members with account management for all of their accounts.
5. Orders departmental supplies and assists faculty with any purchasing needs, maintains receipts and processes invoices for payment.
6. Maintains student records including majors, advisees, and scholarship recipients for the department.
7. Maintains all departmental files.
8. Processes incoming mail and handles any mass and/or special mailings for the department.
9. Assists faculty members with travel requests and arrangements by processing check requests, travel vouchers and receipts. Works with the Travel office and/or Academic Affairs to help ensure policy and guidelines are met.
10. Orders textbooks for faculty from the Bookstore for their classes.
11. Assists with office equipment maintenance.
12. Prepares/arranges campus events and faculty meetings.
13. Handles all room reservations for English faculty and students.
14. Follows safety procedures.
15. Completes performance review process with supervisor to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals on an annual basis.
16. Performs other duties as assigned. The intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Works with faculty, staff, students, parents, alumni and the public to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Responsible for own work. May assist or instruct others doing similar work; including student workers.
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
Errors are readily detected in the normal course of work by standard check or crosscheck.
Reports To: English Department, Chair
Work is performed independently on routine work, non-routine issues or questions are referred to the supervisor.
Ability to communicate effectively with others, with diplomacy, tact and confidentiality when responding to questions from students, parents, employees, supervisors and the general public.
Ability to work amicably with all levels of faculty, staff, management and external constituencies.
Time management skills and the ability to multitask are essential to the successful performance of this position.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with an emphasis on Word and Excel. Able to update and manage departmental website.
Some college and/or technical business school with 5 or more years of experience in related field.
Work is performed under usual office conditions.
Cover Letter and Resume
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Administrative-Assistant_R000402
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency