Assistant Professor Industrial Design
The Industrial Design Department at Pratt Institute invites applications for a full-time tenure track faculty position at the assistant professor rank to begin Fall 2019. Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, the Industrial Design Department is a leading provider of both undergraduate and graduate education in the field.
We seek applicants with a broad vision of the future of the design field and the ability to articulate that vision. Candidates must demonstrate knowledge of design theory and research, embrace systems thinking and the interdisciplinary nature of design, and show commitment to sustainability and social innovation. Candidates must be engaged in scholarly and professional work, and be willing to participate in collaborative projects with other disciplines within Pratt Institute. We are committed to building diversity in our curriculum and among our faculty, students and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to meeting these goals.
- Teach industrial design courses, including design studios and selected support courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including thesis studio.
- Participate in curriculum development.
- Advise and mentor students.
- Participate in and lead research activities with students and other faculty, both in class and in extra-curricular projects.
- Participate in committee work and other service to the department, school, institute and community;
- Contribute to the intellectual culture of the department.
- Develop and maintain personal, scholarly and professional standing in the design field.
- Perform other related activities as required.
We require a master degree in design as well as demonstrated teaching skills (minimum of five years, preferably at both undergraduate and graduate level) and a minimum of five years of professional design experience. Applicants must have a proven record of substantial scholarly and creative activity.
SALARY and RANK commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Review of applications to begin February 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Please submit a letter of intent that includes a statement of teaching philosophy; a curriculum vitae; a portfolio of 20 examples of creative/professional work and student work; and the names and contact information for three professional references via our internal application site at http://apply.interfolio.com/57191
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.