Advisor II, International Students & Designated School Official
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Campus address is 20000 Kingwood Drive. Kingwood, Texas 77339-3801.
The advisor will work collaboratively with all members of the college and the community to support international students through inquiry enrollment and student engagement to completion and transfer. The international advisor will also serve as the Designated School Official for the college, maintain and comply with SEVIS regulations. The advisor performs a wide-range of duties to meet the needs of international students on maintaining lawful status, granting immigration benefits, resolving status violations and advising prospective and current students about the student visa process.
SEVP/SEVIS REPORTING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as an authorized Designated School Official (DSO) for the F-1 visa program (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System) database
- Provide SEVIS and functional support for international students including but not limited to SEVIS record maintenance, internal audits, and federally-mandated registration and reporting each term at LSC campuses as needed
- Review and determine eligibility of prospective students and grant documents necessary to maintain F1 status
- Advise international students and their dependents on maintaining lawful status through continuous education on regulations, policies and procedures
- Develop instructions/handbook for students to apply for federal benefits- change of status, reinstatements, CPT, OPT etc.
- Process F-1 applications
- Responsible for student compliance with the LSC F-1 Student Health Insurance Requirement
- Handle critical aspects of the cross-college operation, and various SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System) processes to ensure that the international student services are appropriately supported
- Monitor academic and graduation progress of international students
- Manage confidential paper and electronic files in accordance with university, FERPA, USCIS, DHS, and DOS regulations
- Responsible for on-going data maintenance and integrity in SEVIS, PeopleSoft, and I-STAR
- Provide systemic support for a year-round office that works with students, faculty, staff, and dependents in Lone Star College including back up support for fellow DSO's as needed
- Responsible for other related duties as assigned
STUDENT ADVISING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as primary mentor for international students
- Collaborate with academic departments and international faculty advisors to ensure international student acclimation to campus and the community
- Assist with International Programs procedures related to international faculty, visiting scholars, and staff
- Serve as an advocate for international students creating multicultural awareness on campus
- Plan, organize and implement a wide variety of student events including but not limited to cultural and diversity programming
- Overseeing international student emissaries in collaboration with faculty advisors
- Act as official liaison between International Programs and its respective constituencies to provide important information regarding student status, academic, and campus engagement
- Work collaboratively with other departments such as student activity, ESOL, and programs, to help achieve our collective student experiences
- Plans required orientation for new F-1 students each semester
- May be required to advise international students on academic and graduation plans as well as Honors advising as part of a collaborative office
- Engage international students to every college opportunities such as student government, Honors college, student clubs and community volunteerism
- Responsible for other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of F-1 visa regulations and SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System)
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and apply immigration regulations, including the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Detail-oriented work style with focus on accuracy, ability to research and analyze information, including government documents and regulations
- Knowledge of computer programs utilized in the generation of reports and other documents
- Ability to solve problems
- Ability to multitask, work on several projects with multiple students at the same time
- Superior communication skills to effectively and professional communicate using tact and diplomacy with internal and external campus community including international visitors
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 3 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence is required for certification as a DSO and/or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) by the federal government
- Transportation between LSC campuses and centers required
- At least 2 years of experience as a Designated School Official and working in SEVIS
- PeopleSoft system experience
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Kingwood
Work Locations: 20000 Kingwood Dr (0200) , 20000 Kingwood Dr , Kingwood , 77339
Job: Academic Affairs
Organization: System Office - 00
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Oct 30, 2018, 11:10:16 PM