Specialist III, Science Lab
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499.
The Specialist III, Science Lab prepares the science labs, assists the Lab Coordinator with preparation of other labs, and provides routine lab support. Provides logistic and material support to instructors and students by providing sterile viable biological samples and material reagents, troubleshooting laboratories, properly disposing of waste, and maintaining uncontaminated stock cultures. In addition, provides assistance in the training of student workers and new faculty in the proper use of equipment, procedures and regulations. Maintains documentation of current stock and reorders stock, reagents, and materials.
- Properly handle and dispose of biohazardous waste following a strict protocol
- Maintain and transfer live bacterial cultures for laboratory classes; Bacteria, Viruses and Fungus
- Maintain stock of supplies in the microbiology laboratory classroom
- Advise lab coordinator about reordering of supplies
- Support the lab coordinator and faculty in the preparation of biology labs; troubleshooting laboratories as needed with live organisms as they do not always yield expected results
- Provide routine lab support including all aspects of lab safety and preparedness, cleaning, inspection and maintenance of lab classrooms, equipment, and supplies
- Prepare culture media for microbiology labs, chemicals, stains, reagents, and create stocks to be used by students and instructors in the laboratory
- Flexibility in schedule to ensure each section, regardless of time of day, receives the same care
- Provide logistic support in the creation of schedules and practices for each semester with the aid of faculty
- Train faculty to ensure they follow proper procedures when handling waste and biological samples
- Train employees on the use of equipment for the creation of media, reagents and on the sterilization equipment used for the biological hazard material generated
- Create protocols and standard operating procedures to be used in the laboratory by students, instructors and employees
- Create, maintain, and purchase inventories for stock cultures, media reagents and the preparation of stock cultures, as well as hazardous reagents and materials used in the laboratory
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to use software products
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Ability to work with a diverse group of faculty and staff
- Good safety record and must be safety consciousness
- Ability to document expenses
- Ability to instruct and supervise student assistants
- Extensive knowledge of biological procedures and protocols
- The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office and/or laboratory environment with exposure to safety hazards typical in a laboratory (working with chemicals, live specimens, moving equipment, etc.)
- Safety protocol must be strictly followed at all times
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- High School Diploma or GED and at least 3 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 2700 WW Thorne Dr (0100) , 2700 WW Thorne Dr , Houston , 77073
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC North Harris - 01
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Oct 30, 2018, 11:50:30 PM