Director, Operations and Infrastructure
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Information Technology
Director of Operations and Infrastructure
Position #728900 - Requisition 15047
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of Information Technology works to advance the University mission by providing innovative technology solutions and services to the CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campuses, their constituents and partners.
Through our six core values, Service, Professionalism, Leadership, Innovation, Community, and Excellence (SPLICE), we make a difference.
Click here to find out more about the Office of Information Technology
The Director of Operations and Infrastructure Services (OIS), a full-time university staff (non-classified) administrative position in the Office of Information Technology (OIT) requiring strong leadership, managerial and project management skills and advanced technical knowledge of a varied set of technologies. The position provides traditional direct line-and-staff supervision. The Director of Operations and Infrastructure Services exercises discretion, independent judgment, and strategic leadership to ensure the ongoing operations of specialized technology infrastructure supporting a myriad of services for the University of Colorado Denver and Anschutz Medical Campuses. Responsible for providing leadership, direction and guidance for the implementation, maintenance, enhancement and improvement of CU Denver | Anschutz IT Infrastructure including the University's voice and data networks, DNS/DHCP, virtual and physical computing environments, video bridging infrastructure and multiple data centers. This position builds relationships with schools, business units, and other academic support organizations to provide campus-wide services, user support, training, and further works to improve alignment and communication. Responsibilities include establishing and administering operating and technology standards, development of new IT services, and problem identification and resolution processes. Assists in day-to-day production issues, acts as escalation point to resolve urgent and/or complex client issues, and manages client expectations. Work is performed under minimal supervision and performance is based on the effective operation of the OIS Organization and the services it provides. The performance evaluation is conducted through the performance evaluation system and in accordance with the University Policies & Procedures.
Examples of Work Performed:
- The Director of Operations and Infrastructure Services identifies, designs, builds, maintains, and life cycle replaces University-wide technology infrastructure that supports applications assisting in carrying out the mission of the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus.
- Further provides IT support to a variety of clients including healthcare, academic, research, and administrative users.
- Performs strategic and tactical planning, organizes the unit's staff and resources for optimal results, directs subordinates to accomplish the unit's mission, and controls operational activities and services so that the university's mission is done in a cost-effective and timely manner. Responsible for the development of organizational units; assists departmental managers in establishing overall goals and meeting performance objectives. Performs succession planning at a variety of levels.
- Responsible for fiscal management of assigned units. Reviews budget requests and supporting documentation and prepares budgetary analysis and recommendations.
- Motivates technical staff by assigning challenging work that meets the advanced computing needs of the university. Implements operational metrics and status reports for evaluating system performance and their management.
- Maintains interpersonal relationships with other unit directors, supervisors, subordinates, other unit managers, and coworkers to facilitate a harmonious work environment. Fosters teamwork, communications, and camaraderie in OIT. Develops, instills, and maintains a service-oriented attitude towards customers and their needs.
- Provides administrative and technical direction in the design, development, and implementation of new IT applications, services, and systems that serve CU Denver | Anschutz. Formulates and writes best practices concerning service levels and support, etc.
- Serves as liaison to vendor account teams responsible for supporting the university. Meets regularly with vendor project managers, sale engineers, and customer service representatives in determining the university's short and long-term needs. Defines procedures, priorities, and guidelines for all vendor installations. Meets regularly with OIT directors, managers and support staff to determine the department's short-term and long-term service needs. Makes well thought out recommendations to the Associate Vice Chancellor for the Office of Information Technology, concerning vendor selection and product offerings. Negotiates favorable contracts and SLAs with vendors and suppliers.
- Actively supports CU Denver's commitment to diversity. Supports and ensures compliance with policies on equal opportunity, affirmative action, and diversity. Supports the overall mission, vision, and values of OIT and implements programs and processes within the assigned work units that support the mission, vision, and values of the university.
- A specific example of this work is the upgrade and replacement of the OIT enterprise-wide telephone system. A suitable replacement system would have to be identified, designed, built, tested, and moved into production. This requires working with other units within OIT and across the University to ensure the solution meets all identified needs. Further, this effort requires vendor negotiation, budget analysis, and overall project management for the successful implementation of the system.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $120,000 to $130,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
* Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
* Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Completion of four years of college with a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college with major emphasis in Business Administration, Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or a closely related field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the IT industry is required. Experience and proven success in the management of large-scale, complex IT systems is mandatory.
- Substitution: 8 years of professional or high-level technical experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to travel between campuses (Denver Campus and Anschutz Medical Campus)
- PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the IT industry is preferred.
- Operational IT experience within a governmental or higher education institution is desired.
- M.B.A. or M.S. with emphasis in telecommunications, computer science, information systems, IT security, or systems engineering desired
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of leadership and management methods, models, and practices.
- Working knowledge of a broad range of technical subjects including, but not limited to, systems administration, computing architectures, various computing operating systems and applications, business continuity and disaster recover methodologies and technologies, data networking, Voice of Internet Protocol (VoIP) systems, and data center technologies as well as IT construction management.
- Ability to effectively administer, plan, organize, and direct a number of diverse technical and support units.
- Ability to develop and implement policies and complex, large-scale administrative procedures and evaluate their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relations with subordinates, peers, colleagues, associates, administrative staff members, faculty, and with personnel of external agencies and organizations.
- Requires in-depth understanding of the building construction process; particularly pertaining to the technology systems within a building.
- Ability to lead a technology construction management team.
- Requires skills such as strategic planning, an independent thinker, and a collaborative participator who possesses excellent project management skills.
- Effective leader of people and strong manager of resources who has a can-do attitude.
- Self-starter and a quick study with solid managerial, technical, financial, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal relationships, leadership and management principles and decision-making abilities.
- Excellent organizational skills, to include demonstrated ability to re-tool a complex organization to meet changing demands.
- Experience with data center management.
- Knowledge of customer service excellence.
- Knowledge and experience with the full range of IT services and products.
- Knowledge and experience in areas such as opportunity prospecting, proposal development, proposal presentation.
- Knowledge and experience in information technology management.
- Knowledge of Higher Education information technology design, setups, installation, implementation and maintenance.
- Administrative skills in planning, financial management, and management of staff.
- Experience working with multiple units and/or organizations, building relationships, and with highly collaborative projects.
- Experience in evaluating programs and thinking strategically about future directions for IT.
- Skill in defining program objectives and establishing information technology standards, policies, and budgets.
- Skill in analyzing and improving operational effectiveness.
- Skill in program analysis and strategic planning.
- Skill in managing the work of others, including leading and motivating managerial staff.
- Excellent written and oral communications not only within the technology department, but especially with customers and constituents.
- Skill with conflict resolutions
- Knowledge and experience with financial analysis
- Knowledge and experience with mentoring
- Knowledge and experience with preparing and administering performance reviews
- Knowledge and experience with risk analysis
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1.) A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2.) A current CV/resume 3.) List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to OIT Human Resources at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60131 - ADM-AVCOIT Administration
Posting Date: Oct 30, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: [email protected]
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00728900