Visiting DevOps Specialist - Applied Technologies for Learning in the Arts and Sciences, College of
Visiting DevOps Specialist
Applied Technologies for Learning in the Arts and Sciences
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Visiting DevOps Specialist will provide technology expertise to the Department of Statistics Faculty in the innovation of research and teaching. The individual will collaborate with ATLAS (LAS IT Unit) in the architecture of services or solutions provided (on-premise or cloud) and, when appropriate, consult with other colleges or campus IT experts.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with individual faculty and staff, in particular data science instructors, to gain an in-depth understanding of their current and, where possible, future IT needs. Learn and understand what challenges they are facing with current technology solutions and make recommendations for better solutions, taking into consideration what may already exist within the college, elsewhere on campus, or in the cloud.
- Collaborate with developers to make sure new environments meet requirements and conform to best practices. Partner with the Infrastructure group in LAS on the best practices to administer Linux systems running specialized software and ensure high availability and scalability of infrastructure environments.
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of the services and solutions provided by all IT groups across the campus.
- Research emerging technologies and advise as to future directions and/or opportunities.
- Make recommendations on filling gaps that exist between current campus services and instructor needs.
- Document engagements to outline services provided, agreed upon expectations, follow-ups, and costing.
- Adhere to change control and development processes where appropriate.
- Develop scripts and programs to aid in the operation of the learning environment infrastructure.
- Plan for and maintain security of learning environment applications and data.
- Respond to outages in a timely manner and work with infrastructure to solve any issues as appropriate.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience working with faculty in a higher education setting;
- Dedication to providing excellent customer service;
- Experience with open source technologies;
- Experience using various tools to orchestrate solutions;
- 3 years of hands-on experience at least in one scripting language;
- Strong analytical, organizational, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills;
- Proven ability to identify and meet project design requirements as well as milestones;
- Ability to work both independently and within a diverse team;
- Strong communication skills, including client presentation skills;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive data;
- Candidate needs to be available to work some weekends, early mornings, and evenings;
- Integrated and iterative approach to development
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM related field
- Project management experience;
- Automating deployment of Linux applications, system configurations and security settings;
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing technologies;
- 5 years of hands-on experience at least in one scripting language;
- Experience with Hadoop, Python, Ansible, Docker and VMware
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time position. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The position may become non-visiting at a later date.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by October 22, 2018. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact the search committee at [email protected] .
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Title: Visiting DevOps Specialist - Applied Technologies for Learning in the Arts and Sciences, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (103260)
Open Date: 09/26/2018
Close Date: 10/22/2018
Organization Name: Appl Technol Learning A and S