Applied Arts & Sciences - 135331
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
The Applied Arts and Sciences Unit within UNT New College specializes in helping students complete a
Bachelor's degree (B.A.A.S.). Students often enter the program after earning community college or military credit, or may transfer into the program from another UNT major.
The B.A.A.S. advising team handles all academic advising for the Bachelor of Applied Arts & Sciences (B.A.A.S) degree. It is a fully accredited bachelor's degree with three distinguishing characteristics:
1. It is designed to help transfer students from community colleges and technical institutions, non-traditional students with college credit, and veterans or active-duty military personnel finish their bachelor's degree faster;
3. it is a multidisciplinary degree that gives students the flexibility of choosing up to three different subject areas of study that pertains to their career interests.
The Applied Arts and Sciences Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Academic Counselor to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* In-person and remote holistic academic advising to both continuing and prospective students of the B.A.A.S program.
* Will be one of several primary academic advisors for B.A.A.S. students taking classes online, at UNT Denton, at New College at Frisco Hall Park Location, and at the Collin Higher Education Center in McKinney.
* Counsel students, both admitted and prospective, all the way from prospective student stage through to degree completion, helping them access available resources for academic support and
* Significant outreach to community college and high school programs in Collin and adjacent
counties as well as to employers.
* Will assess the student's interests, aptitudes and abilities, as well as the credits and credentials that they transfer into the program.
* Will counsel students on parallel pathway degree options within UNT if the B.A.A.S. degree program does not fit the student's needs and continue to advise them until they ensure the student has made contact with the academic advisor in the parallel program.
* Will be based primarily in Denton, but will require working with students and with colleagues in Denton and elsewhere.
* A significant amount of regional travel is required.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Master's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, professional academic advising, or related experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Current knowledge of student development and counseling theory.
* Strong presentation, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
* Strong counseling skills including career development and group facilitation.
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to work independently.
* Remains active in professional development.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* 3 years of related experience,
* Knowledge of university policies and procedures.
* Ability to communicate well with diverse populations - verbally and in writing.
* Strong problem solving skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with individuals within and outside UNT.
* Ability to work efficiently and independently.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting