Academic Advisor - Department of Animal Sciences (105064)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
Department of Animal Sciences
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community. The Department of Animal Sciences has a diverse population of approximately 540 undergraduate students.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
SHORT DESCRIPTION SUMMARIZING POSITION
Full-time, 100% appointment, primary responsibilities will advise and teach students in the undergraduate program. The incumbent will work with the department, campus, and college administrative units, maintain undergraduate records, and perform other duties relevant to undergraduate advising and education in the Department of Animal Sciences.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise Animal Sciences majors on curricular requirements.
- Provide support for students during Express Advising (drop-in advising) at designated times throughout the academic year.
- Approve, review or assist in preparation of plans of study, major or minor modifications, and similar items.
- Monitor student progress toward degree completion.
- Maintain records of student contacts.
- Function as liaison in conjunction with the undergraduate recruiter corresponding with college of ACES for transfer recruitment and communications with potential students.
- Participate in 6-8 week Summer Registration program in May and June for the advisement and registration of new undeclared freshmen and transfer students entering the University of Illinois;
- Manage certification program process for Companion Animal Certification and other programs as developed.
- Develop and revise printed informational materials, resources, handbooks, and content for ANSC website and social media outlets in collaboration with the undergraduate recruiter.
- Create a welcoming environment that is inclusive of students from diverse backgrounds.
- Advise students on post-baccalaureate plans such as graduate or professional schools and careers.
- Function as a departmental contact for undergraduate clubs.
- Publicize internship, study abroad and other experiences to students.
- Advertise Animal Sciences graduate program opportunities.
- Serve as a career-based resource for undergraduate students
- Develop and manage database including information for graduated undergraduate students in collaboration with academic recruiter.
- Foster student retention, prepare reports, and appropriately track data with regard to enrollment.
- Function as a liaison between ACES Advancement, ACES marketing and Communication, ACES Alumni Association, and Animal Sciences in collaboration with the undergraduate recruiter.
- Oversee enrollment, internships, and agreements for ANSC 398, Experiential Learning.
- Teach ANSC 498, Senior Capstone Course, each semester.
Other administrative duties: 10%
- Plan and execute with the undergraduate recruiter the ANSC Student Awards and scholarship ceremony and alumni activities.
- Provide oversight for Academic Quadrathlon.
- Serve on departmental committees.
- Participate in College of ACES meetings for recruiters and advisers.
- Serve as backup contact for the undergraduate recruiter.
- Provide supplemental support of Animal Sciences Ambassador team.
- Work some evening and weekend hours to meet the advising, recruiting and event needs of the student population in the program.
- Assume additional related responsibilities to enhance the mission of ANSC.
Required: Masters in Animal Sciences or a related field. Individuals working toward a MS degree may be considered, but the degree must be obtained by the starting date.
Required: Experience maintaining data records and attention to detail.
Preferred: Two years of experience providing undergraduate student academic support in a higher education setting. Experience with educational advising and scheduling software. Experience working with a diverse student population.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Required: The ability to work efficiently in a team environment. Excellent organizational skills. Good oral and written communication skills. Commitment to excellent customer service, with a high priority placed on responding quickly and thoroughly to inquiries.
Preferred: Knowledge of career opportunities for ANSC undergraduates.
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
APPOINTMENT STATUS: Full-time, 100% 12 month appointment.
PROPOSED STARTING DATE: As soon as possible after the closing date.
Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and contact information of three references by November 13, 2018. All requested information must be submitted via the online system for your application to be considered. For further information please contact Carolyn Thomas, Department of Animal Sciences, [email protected]. Additional information regarding the department can be found at www.ansc.illinois.edu.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES
Category: 5-Education and Student Services
Title: Academic Advisor - Department of Animal Sciences (105064)
Open Date: 10/30/2018
Close Date: 11/13/2018
Organization Name: Animal Sciences