Director of Communications-Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (104876)
Director of Communications
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science & Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants for a Director of Communications position. The function of the Director of Communications is to develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to build national and international recognition for the Institute among the scientific community, the general public, and funding agencies.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encourage to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement the communications strategy for the Institute including producing and distributing a variety of communications media; this includes marketing, advertising, media/public relations, and publications and ensuring that these materials have a consistent and effective message.
- Lead and manage communications/marketing team and external service providers, including advertising agencies, freelance graphic designers, independent contractors, and University collaborators. Manage the recruitment, hiring and organization of the Communications staff. Supervise staff including task assignment, ongoing performance management with coaching and feedback, leave/travel approval, and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Proactively identify compelling stories, create, write and build out dynamic multimedia content, and edit and review material to ensure it is timely, accurate and relevant.
- Act as a member of the Beckman leadership team; work with Beckman administration to prepare annual reports for the campus and the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation; represent the Communications team in the Beckman Institute Executive Committee and Beckman administration meetings.
- Serve as liaison for the Institute with the campus News Bureau, Office of Public Affairs staff, and communications professionals in the home colleges of the Institute faculty and collaborate with these units to coordinate the dissemination of research activities.
- Serve as liaison for the Institute with local and regional media.
- Provide a suite of tools, products, and services that help researchers communicate more effectively both internally and externally; including web design, video, event coordination, posters, photography, and others.
- Manage, and as needed edit and produce, all promotional material for the Institute, including the website, social media, YouTube channel and other videos, annual reports, informational brochures, folders, newsletters, bulletins, conference materials, posters, announcements, digital signage, cards, invitations, and display cases.
- Coordinate efforts with Beckman administration to stay in touch with the Institute's alumni, donors, and friends.
- Monitor news alerts in which the Beckman Institute and/or affiliated faculty are featured.
- Provide Institute visitors with tours of the building and facilities.
- Organize major events, including the Open House, special symposia, and scientific conferences and workshops, including developing advertising schedules for lecture series and other Institute events.
- Build the Institute's social media presence on major outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and Instagram.
- Organize all promotional photo shoots for the Institute, including a periodic (such as semi-annual) photo studio for faculty, staff, and student portraits.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations, External Relations, or a related field is required.
- Familiarity and prior experience with computer software used in generating promotional material is essential.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a higher education communications and/or management position is required.
- Strong marketing, creative, and project management skills required, along with solid editorial skills.
- Master's degree is highly desirable.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a research intensive environment is highly desirable, as is experience with scientific writing and promotional materials development.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. In order to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 13, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The expected start is as soon as possible after the closing date. Please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and the names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers for three professional references as a single PDF file on or before November 13, 2018. All requested information must be entered for your application to be considered. For further information, please contact Beckman Institute Human Resources at [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Vice Chancellor for Research
Title: Director of Communications-Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (104876)
Open Date: 10/30/2018
Close Date: 11/13/2018
Organization Name: BI Communications