Senior Director of Alumni Relations
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Advancement
Senior Director of Alumni Relations
Position #669735 - Requisition 14600
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Office of Advancement has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Senior Director of Alumni Relations position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz) is seeking a collaborative and innovative Senior Director of Alumni Relations to join their team. The Office of Advancement has identified alumni outreach as a strategic priority for the future. The Alumni Relations team is poised for growth and is looking for an experienced leader to provide strategic direction and tactical execution of a robust alumni engagement program.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Advancement, this position will oversee the Alumni Relations team (currently 2.5 FTE) and will be responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating programs designed to foster effective communications, increase support for the University and encourage involvement of alumni, in the life of the University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the principal architect and strategist in developing and executing a clear strategic plan for a comprehensive, service-oriented alumni engagement program including but not limited to multi-media communications, special events, volunteer coordination and internal partnership building with input and involvement of each of the health professional schools (Pharmacy, Nursing, Medicine, Dental Medicine and Public Health).
- This plan should be deeply integrated with all Advancement programs that are focused on alumni. Such a plan will clearly define the purpose of alumni engagement, segments of alumni that are of high priority, core messaging, and the metrics for success.
- Once established, monitor and evaluate the strategic plan for the office of alumni relations.
- Establish and build relationships with a wide range of alumni, locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Direct the planning, organization, coordination, implementation and evaluation of the alumni relations programs with fundraising and advancement objectives as a strategic outcome.
- Establish clear goals, metrics, strategies, activities and programs that enable the alumni to engage individually and collectively with the health professional schools.
- Build, strengthen and nurture the campus outreach efforts and garner private and public support for the campus.
- Plan, implement, promote and evaluate programs to engage students, new alumni and current non-involved alumni.
- Maintain regular communication with alumni via direct contact, email blasts, newsletters, alumni web pages, and print publications.
- Partner with the University's schools and college to identify strategies to best engage their specific alumni networks and create a path for volunteer leadership.
- Create, implement, coordinate and evaluate alumni fundraising efforts in cooperation with the Office of Advancement; collaborate closely with development colleagues in increasing support from alumni; routinely identify and qualify alumni prospects for gifts; work closely with annual giving on planning and segmentation strategy.
- Prepare and supervise the Alumni Relations budget.
- Supervise the Alumni Relations teams, currently 2.5 FTE, and provide guidance to alumni volunteers.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree.
- Extensive, diverse, progressively responsible and successful alumni relations experience.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to travel as needed.
- Graduate work in related field.
- Minimum of ten years of top level alumni relations experience and/or relevant experience in Advancement roles, the nonprofit sector, sales, public relations and/or marketing.
- At least five years of experience overseeing or providing senior leadership to an alumni relations program in a university or college.
- Experience with a graduate medical campus and the unique interests of this alumni population.
- Experience in practices and procedures associated with building and maintaining effective alumni engagement programs in a health sciences setting.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Experience with board leadership and development.
- Evidence of desire and ability to build partnerships and effectively interact with diverse constituencies.
- At least 5 years supervisory or management experience.
- A strategic and tactical thinker, capable of advancing an idea from conceptualization to completion while navigating the challenges and complexities inherent at a large academic institution.
- Ability to understand and navigate the political climate of higher education.
- Strong leader, manager and mentor who can motivate and inspire her/his team.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships. Must be willing and able to function as a team player, both within Advancement and with other key internal stakeholders (e.g., career services, faculty, volunteers).
- Gifted communicator, both verbally and in writing. A persuasive writer who is equally capable as the primary author or as editor.
- Proven ability to organize and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, to work independently and collaboratively, and to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Expertise in best practices in alumni relations in higher education.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Personal computer proficiency required, Microsoft Office and donor/CRM software. Computer skills may be subject to testing and verification.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Karen Aarestad - [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by December 14, 2018. Those who do not apply by December 14th may or may not be considered.
Job Category: External Relations
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21560 - ADM-EVC Foundation Anschutz
Posting Date: Nov 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Karen Aarestad
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00669735