Project Manager Strategic IT Initiatives
Requisition # 2018-9394
Department Project & Tech Consulting Off
Category Information Technology
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Project Manager for Strategic IT Initiatives is responsible for successfully managing multiple, complex, cross-departmental projects that involve changes to business processes, selection of software solutions, and IT system implementations.
This project manager position carries the responsibility of leading academic and administrative departments, technical staff, and user communities through a variety of campus-wide IT projects. This senior-level project manager reports to the Strategic IT Consulting Manager in the Project and Technology Consulting Office of the Office of Information Technology.
- Partner with project sponsors to identify, prioritize and sequence the project goals.
- Manage the vendor relationships to ensure quality deliverables promptly.
- Anticipate, identify and mitigate people/organizational risks associated with a project that represents cultural and operational changes.
- Identify and help resolve project issues in an efficient and timely manner.
- Provide standard project management deliverables as described in the Princeton Project Management Methodology (PPMM).
- Collaborate with stakeholders to understand, document, and prioritize requirements.
- Identify and refine processes where the proposed system will integrate with other departments and applications.
- Produce clear and detailed project documentation. Maintain all documentation in an approved repository.
- Produce an estimated implementation schedule, spending plan, and business case to secure funding for the chosen solution.
- Ensure that test scripts are created and tests are conducted to verify system funcationality.
- Leads the team to design organizational structures for how support should be implemented post go-live
- Serve as an advocate for project end-users and key stakeholders by working with the project team and advisory groups to identify and increase the awareness of end user and critical stakeholder impacts, and assist organizations in developing a plan to manage change for these groups to ensure their support and participation in this initiative.
- Ensure that a training program on system functionality is developed for end users
- Perform other duties as requested.
- A minimum of 8 years of verifiable project management experience leading software product assessments and deployments.
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of project management principles and methodologies and successful implementation of IT projects in a complex organization
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral, to a diverse audience, including active listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, collaboration and customer service skills
- Ability to successfully handle multiple tasks and deadlines at once, and be able to determine appropriate priorities; must be able to make independent interpretations and make appropriate decisions that are in the best interest of the organization and that are consistent with the objectives of senior management.
- Ability to work efficiently at all levels of the organization and influence others to progress toward a shared vision or goal
- Excellent analytic, problem-solving and root-cause identification skills
- Ability to balance attention to detail while maintaining focus on the big picture
- Experience with packaged software implementations, including testing, writing end-user documentation, and training end users.
- Ability to read, create, interpret, and understand database schemas, flowcharts, requirements, specifications, user guides, sequences of operation, and other technical data; ability to understand and analyze the complexities of software applications.
- Good working knowledge of software and the related infrastructure in a production environment including computer operating systems, databases, networks, security, interfaces, and troubleshooting techniques.
- Previous experience working in higher education
- Current Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
A Bachelor's degree is required.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.