Digital Director (SJSU ONLY)
Job ID: 24812
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Strategic Comm and Marketing
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This is opened only to current SJSU employees.*
The Digital Director is responsible for integrating digital design thinking into the organization and leading the San Jos State University online experience through interaction design, user experience and timely engagement with a wide audience, raising the profile and brand of the university among external and internal constituents. The Digital Director reports to the Senior Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing and is a key member of the unit's leadership team and the university's emergency communications team. Working collaboratively with the Senior Associate Vice President, and other directors on the strategic communications and marketing team, the Digital Director manages a team of web communicators, designers, social media specialists and student interns to advance the university's strategic goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the production and publishing of digital communications; work with the team and internal stakeholders to craft and optimize original and repurposed content.
- Maintain a vibrant and effective university homepage, top-level pages and social media presence; Oversee website architecture, updates and interactivity; Identify trends in site and social media usage.
- Facilitate the creative process to synthesize user research and develop new ideas for content and social engagement; ensure ideas are translated into strategies, activities and tactics.
- Develop and build relationships within university advancement and across units to promote collaboration and improve the efficiency of web content.
- Define web writing best practices and develop a content strategy; Ensure content meets organizational goals while satisfying user needs.
- Champion design-thinking across the university and develop strategy and governance that drives the universitys approach to digital and ultimately the user experience.
- Supervise the implementation and maintenance of an integrated design system, includes a pattern library and the creation and documentation of design patterns.
- Ensure a digital content and design language develops and is framed within the university brand and editorial standards; discuss, vet and document a shared language.
- Lead the design and development of new website features, working jointly with university IT.
- Collaborate effectively with a multi-disciplinary team to evaluate the feasibility of proposed digital deliverables and advocate great UX in the face of technical constraints.
- Develop and implement an effective and forward-looking digital engagement strategy that integrates with and supports the universitys strategic communication and marketing initiatives.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, marketing, advertising, graphic design, or public relations.
- Five years of relevant experience
- Five years of experience in higher education.
- Hands-on digital experience: web design, content strategy, email and social media marketing.
- Experience in photography/video production.
- Experience in Google Analytics, HTML/CSS, deploying websites and responsive design.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert in content strategy, blogging, email marketing, and social media marketing.
- Expert in web project management: writing scopes of work, gathering requirements, estimating effort, setting milestones, scheduling tasks, and assessing risk.
- Excellent oral and written communication, active listening, analytical, and political acumen skills.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in presentation format.
- Knowledge of data and analytics to measure impact, create metrics reports and refine strategies (e.g., Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of web usability, accessibility, browser compatibility, design, prototyping and deploying mobile-friendly, responsive websites.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of digital communications, including strategic planning and technical aspects and requirements of various media.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative applications, Photoshop and Premiere and the encoding standards for optimal online delivery of multimedia content.
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS.
- Knowledge of digital trends, current affairs and issues in higher education.
- Ability to work in relevant applications; including but not limited to, browser tools, content management systems, source code editors, photo editing software, blogging platforms, social media management tools and email marketing tools.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with content experts and contributors, colleagues of all technical abilities from none to robust.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with creative directors, designers, writers, editors, photographers and producers.
- Ability to work with web developers and programmers.
October 30, 2018
Application Screening begins November 13, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046