Design Specialist - University of Illinois Extension (104704)
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Extension Design Specialist serves as a regular, full time, 12-month position with primary responsibility for managing projects and creative aspects, while designing and implementing digital and print products to support the educational, communications, and marketing endeavors of University of Illinois Extension.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceptualize, design and develop a wide range of digital and print-based communications and marketing materials including reports, newsletters, presentations, brochures, posters, print and online advertisements, email communications, displays, and other materials as needed.
- Provide leadership to improve and maintain modern standards in user interface/user experience design for Extension digital products, including web and mobile applications.
- Develop and create engaging graphics for use in social media and video production.
- Utilize skills and experience to create products that visually communicate with the identified target audience.
- Stay up-to-date on current trends that involve design for web, mobile, desktop, and tablet applications.
- Manage creative aspects of communications projects to support Extension education, communications, and marketing needs. Manage projects from conception to completion with a variety of clients, colleagues, freelancers, students, and vendors. Manage time, materials, and vendor pricing to stay within budget allocations.
- Create and uphold the visual identity of statewide University of Illinois Extension educational and communications products.
- Provide leadership to create and ensure the visual quality and strategic brand alignment across all Extension digital initiatives (including online educational delivery systems, internal business applications and social media).
- Ensure compliance and cooperation with Extension and campus design standards.
- Work as a collaborative team member with clients, developers, communicators, and fellow designers.
- Participate as a member of the Extension communications team.
- Develop and implement plans for personal growth and competence.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Director of Communications.
- Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assists Unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports.
- Required: Bachelor's degree in graphic design, communications, marketing, advertising, or related field. Two years' experience in a multi-client, multi-project graphic design environment. Three years' experience in digital and print graphic design, including experience with HTML, CSS, and digital accessibility standards; UI/UX principles and best practices; and wireframe design for responsive websites. (Years of experience may run concurrently).
- Preferred: Master's degree in graphic design, communications, marketing, advertising or related field from an accredited institution of higher education. Experience in website, mobile, and app design. Experience in creating static and motion graphics for use in video production. Experience in working in a Higher Ed environment. Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator).Evidence of strong interpersonal skills and teamwork. Strong written and verbal skills.Ability to create engaging graphics for social media (Pinterest, Facebook, etc.). Demonstrated ability to communicate design concepts to staff without formal design training. Knowledge of purpose and mission of the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences and University of Illinois Extension.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, Civil Service Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION:
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), three design examples or link to portfolio, and academic credentials (transcripts - unofficial are accepted, or diploma) by November 13, 2018. An online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Ashley Grilo ([email protected]).
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES - Extension
Title: Design Specialist - University of Illinois Extension (104704)
Open Date: 10/30/2018
Close Date: 11/13/2018
Organization Name: Communication