Institutional Data Specialist
Job ID: 24813
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 5681
Department: Inst Effectiveness & Analytics
Classification: Research Technician II
Anticipated Salary Range: $3,721/month - $4,547/month
Salary Range: $3,721/month - $6,537/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Institutional Data Specialist supports a wide variety of data-related projects. The position responds to internal requests for custom data sets, data integrations, and analyses. This position may also compile and submit campus data to external entities. The incumbent manages projects under general supervision and may help coordinate the efforts of project support staff such as student assistants, programmers, and other research technicians. The position is responsible for maintaining the accuracy and usability of data delivered to stakeholders.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Communicate with IEA and campus stakeholders about data needs and request specifications
- Write advanced queries/scripts in SQL syntax or similar methods, develop complex data management logic, integrate data sources, and build cleaned, standardized data sets for use in analyses and reports
- Apply new and existing data sources as needed to meet campus needs (e.g., ERS series, Student Data Warehouse, PeopleSoft, SAMI, external sources)
- As needed, analyze data for outcomes and conclusions related to the data request
- On request, run relevant general statistical analyses related to the data request
- Prepare formatted reports for recipients
- Perform quality checks on own work and the work of other contributors when applicable
- Document data processes and project details in the IEA task and documentation systems
- Perform data and report validation and investigate the causes of data discrepancies
- Verify issues found by end users, tracking errors and outstanding requests and forwarding to appropriate developers
- Propose candidate data structures to meet user needs
- Contribute to enhancements and new development of reports and dashboards using the data warehouse
- Communicate needs to development staff and/or consultants
- Anticipate user needs and benefits and propose solutions based on them
- Contribute as needed to data reporting efforts using such tools as Tableau, Excel and Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university. Additional experience which has demonstrated that the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities delineated above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis and two years of progressively responsible experience in technical research or statistical work in the collection, compilation, and analysis of data. Graduate study in the social sciences, economics, mathematics, statistics, public or business administration or engineering may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Course work in data science, education technology, higher education, social sciences, or statistics.
- Advanced SQL or comparable data programming experience.
- Experience integrating data from multiple sources.
- Previous work with large education-related databases.
- Experience providing effective support and customer service to data end users.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Advanced skills in SQL programming
- Ability to automate certain data tasks through the use of syntax and data logic (e.g., in SQL)
- Ability to accurately compile custom data sets
- Ability to perform data management and transformations to obtain correct results
- Ability to prepare data files and merge data records from multiple data sources (e.g., student records and surveys)
- Ability to produce data reports, including tables and graphs, in Excel, and Tableau, or other data tools as needed
- Knowledge of campus data sources and definitions, including ERS census extracts and PeopleSoft sources
- Ability to produce analyses, including tables and graphs, in Excel or Tableau, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE), and other data tools as needed
- Ability to produce well-formatted, easy-to-read data reports and extracts
- Ability to document and replicate data processes
- Ability to apply general statistical techniques, such as tests of difference and association (e.g., t-tests, ANOVA, correlation, basic regression)
- Knowledge of IBM SPSS and/or R to perform basic statistical analyses
- Knowledge of relevant data privacy policies and practices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use various tools to explore, troubleshoot, and verify data
- Ability to translate user needs into detailed technical specifications
- Ability to learn new data structures and propose candidate data structures for new reporting capabilities
October 30, 2018
Application Screening begins November 16, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046