Job ID: 24815
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $3,288/month - $6,162/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Under general supervision, the Administrative Analyst independently manages all budget, operational, clerical, and administrative duties for the office of the Mechanical Engineering Department. The Department Analyst provides highly complex support to the Department Chair, students, faculty and other staff. This position is responsible for the analysis of operations, the maintenance of fiscal management, planning, and administration of operational systems, makes recommendations to the Chair and faculty regarding strategic choices and appropriate timing for the department's investment of resources. The analyst oversees the day to day operations of the department and provides work lead and direction to others as needed.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Projects annual department budget based on analysis of past and projected expenditures.
- Analyzes fiscal needs, sets budget and allocations, and administers accounts for department programs and labs in Mechanical Engineering.
- Administers revenues and expenditures from all department fiscal resources; plans, analyzes, evaluates and administers all associated budgets.
- Compiles and analyzes department expenditure data and responds to budget inquiries and related problems in order to provide assistance in resolving budget issues.
- Processes hiring appointments for temporary faculty, Teaching Associates (TA), Graduate Assistants (GA), Instructional Student Assistants (ISA), and student assistants (SA), coordinates timesheets and payroll approval for student assistants.
- Supports Department Chair in the search and hiring of new tenure track faculty.
- Coordinates and updates annual department schedule for non-instructional activities, arranges department meetings and guest speakers.
- Coordinates academic scheduling. Manages class scheduling in PeopleSoft. Reviews and verifies schedules for accuracy. Submits updates and corrections as needed.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Clerical and office management experience
- Experience with financial analysis and projections
- Experience in composing memos, letters, and other office correspondence
- Experience with software applications, such as MS Office, financial software
- Experience with PeopleSoft or similar relational software
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and web maintenance.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to understand and gain thorough knowledge of SJSU, college, and department methods, procedures and practices.
- Ability to perform business math, analyze salary data, calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make accurate projections.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple administrative and clerical tasks for a variety of users, set schedules, complete projects accordingly, and direct student assistants.
October 30, 2018
Application Screening begins November 14, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046