Accounts Receivable Representative - Gov-2
Burr Ridge, IL
About the Unit
The University of Chicago is a private institution encompassing the undergraduate College, six professional schools (Business, Law, Divinity, Public Policy, Medicine and Social Service Administration), four graduate divisions (Biological Sciences, Humanities, Physical Sciences, and Social Sciences) and the University of Chicago Medical Center. The broader University enterprise includes Argonne National Laboratory, Fermilab, and Yerkes Observatory.
Responsible for assisting the revenue cycle team by performing one or more aspects of routine physician revenue cycle billing. Communicate and Work with University and UCM departments, patients, payers and other external entities to obtain the necessary information to process claims, collect cash and reduce AR.
- Perform patient and insurance inquiries for various revenue cycle activities; such as working rejections, no activity follow up accounts, registration-related functions, eligibility inquiries,and other activities that contribute to AR/account resolution.
- Perform revenue cycle activities to resolve the account balance, such as resolving claim edits, rejections, resolve complex Provider Level adjustments (PLBs), credit balances, applying payments and adjustments to accounts.
- Responsible to make insurance follow-up phone calls to payers as well as update and process accounts/claims for submission to third party.
- Work with IT to resolve EDI file load errors and work with payers to resolve missing remit file issues.
- Communicate with revenue cycle experts regarding the necessary medical records and clinical and/or billing information needed from the department to resolve accounts and escalate issues when appropriate to revenue cycle experts and/or manager.
- Complete daily payment batch reconciliation and create/update accounts within the billing system; including demographic and insurance changes or additions; also maintain documentation within the billing system for account activity.
- Assist in tasks related to projects and in the development, coordination and review of procedures.
- Correspond with internal and external constituencies to obtain appropriate documentation and/or information in an effort to resolve the account.
- Ability to participate as a member of the staff in identifying priorities for the work unit and participate as a member of a work group or team.
- Ability to interact and communicate with clarity, tact, and courtesy with patrons, patients, staff faculty, students, and others.
- Ability to work with supervision to identify and describe work task priorities.
- Ability to recognize and resolve or refer problems and conflicts.
- Ability to negotiate and manage interpersonal communication effectively.
- Ability to understand medical terminology/documentation and basic documentation such as Help screens and departmental handouts.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent tasks in a competent and professional manner in a fast paced atmosphere.
- Ability to solve problems independently with limited direction from the supervisor.
Education, Experience, Certifications:
- High School Diploma is required.
- Previous experience with physician billing is required.
- Previous experience using electronic medical records systems is preferred.
- Previous experience with diagnosis and CPT coding terminology is required.
- Previous experience working with third party payor rules, procedures and policies in physician billing is required.
- Medical terminology certification is preferred.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- PC experience and MS Office (Word and Excel) is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use or learn to use a range of position related software applications. These may include standard software packages as well as networked systems, email, the Web, and other types of information structures.
- Cover Letter
- Reference Contact Information
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Salary Range: $18.12-$26.52
Please refer to Additional Requirements to see the pay ranges
Scheduled Weekly Hours
024- Local 743, I.B.T. Clerical
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/