Social Media & Digital Engagement Coordinator
Hyde Park Campus
35390 Harris Sch Pub Policy
About the Unit
We work at the frontiers of data collection and analysis, using the latest technology and social science methods to design policies that work for society. We conduct rigorous inquiry in an environment of innovation and risk taking, fearlessly questioning the status quo. We collaborate across the private, public, and nonprofit sectors, adopting new methodologies to drive better solutions. We engage with our city, our world, and our leaders every day to evaluate and test our ideas. And we lead with our passion for driving social change, knowing that passion alone does not equal impact. With passion and precision, we figure out what's best for society—and get it done. This is Harris Public Policy: Social impact, down to a science. ABOUT THE UNIT It's an exciting time at Harris Public Policy. We recently welcomed a new dean, Katherine Baicker. Our incoming class has broken national records. And in 2019 we'll open our new facility, the Keller Center. To support this incredible growth, the Communications and Marketing team is also growing. Our team combines a thoughtful, strategic approach with hands-on effort and production to support the important work of Harris Public Policy, from attracting star students to our world-class institution, to encouraging engagement of alumni and donors, to publicizing our faculty's ground-breaking research, to sharing the stories of our global community.
The University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy is seeking a Social Media & Digital Engagement Coordinator to help coordinate social media and other digital engagement efforts, including email communications, for the school, as part of a broader effort to enhance awareness of and engagement among key stakeholders, including prospective students, alumni, and policy influencers to name a few.
As part of the Harris Communications and Marketing team, the Coordinator will ensure that social content and digital assets are consistent with the school's voice, brand, and identity. Responsibilities for this role includes drafting and scheduling posts, assisting with social media campaigns, designing and updating digital assets, drafting weekly benchmarking reports and managing email lists in our CRM database and email platform (e.g., Salesforce, MailChimp). He/she will work to ensure timely promotion of initiatives across all departments.
Reporting to the Assoc. Dir. of Social Media & Digital Engagement, the primary responsibilities of the Social Media Coordinator include the following:
Social community management:
- •Work with the Associate Director of Social Media & Digital Engagement to maintain the Harris social media calendar
- •Draft/schedule social content daily based on the calendar and upon request from other departments
- Draft/schedule digital assets and social cards to help engage our online audience
- Assist with social media coverage (i.e. Facebook Live and live tweeting) at various events
- Develop seasonal campaigns to help promote various initiatives of the school
- Assist with video creation and podcast development, as needed
- Serve as the social media liaison to the Career Development Office and specific research centers to help support their social media efforts
Social listening, research, and monitoring:
- Conduct weekly social media scans and draft reports regarding competitors, stakeholders and policy topics using native platforms and media/social listening tools
- Work with associate director to Identify insights that enhance our approach to content development and engagement
- Manage and moderate relevant conversation on Harris channels
- Maintain lists on Twitter for students, alumni, faculty, etc.
- Monitor key news and event platforms to highlight relevant news and accomplishments for Harris' following; promote items across social channels in a timely manner
Email marketing and digital outreach:
- Provide support for school-wide email marketing initiatives; write and create email campaigns that support Harris' thought leadership and institutional communications efforts
- Manage and update email lists for influencer marketing campaigns, including e-newsletter subscribers; partner with other Harris units to ensure that email lists for other stakeholder groups are up-to-date for institutional email communications
- Provide support to other members of the Communications and Marketing team, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Professional demeanor, including tact, discretion, and a customer service-oriented approach to the job
- Strong verbal and writing skills, and creativity in using multimedia to tell stories online
- Ability to anticipate and respond to future needs
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively in a team setting
- An exceptional work ethic and track record of personal initiative; high attention to detail and follow-up, and excellent organizational skills
- Ability/flexibility to respond quickly to marketing opportunities
Education, Experience or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or a related field required
- At least 1-3 years' experience in social media marketing, digital marketing or communications preferred
- Technical knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, metrics and tracking preferred
- Working knowledge and experience with all major social media platforms preferred
- Familiarity with Hootsuite and Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically Photoshop and InDesign preferred
- Cover Letter
- In addition to a cover letter and resume, please submit a writing sample (i.e. press release, drafted social media posts, etc.) in addition to a digital asset you have designed.
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/