Part-time Lecturer in Costume Design
Open October 30th, 2018 through January 6th, 2019
The Department of Dance, Claire Trevor School of the Arts at the University of California, Irvine, seeks qualified candidates to teach Dance 127A/Costume Design for Dance-a four-unit course in Spring Quarter 2019 for UCI Dance Majors and required for the UCI BFA in Choreography. As described in the course catalogue, the course addresses costume design and construction specific to the body in motion.
Title: Part-time Lecturer in Dance Costume Design
Salary and Start Date; This is a part-time position for Spring Quarter 2019 and will be hired at 33% time at an annual rate of $54,738.
Qualifications: Candidates must have a master's degree in costume design, professional experience designing for dance, and teaching experience in a performing arts undergraduate university program. A strong candidate would have experience designing costumes for several different dance genres such as classical ballet, contemporary ballet, modern dance, jazz, and tap, understanding the differences in needs for style and movement. A candidate with breadth would also be conversant in costume design for theater, film, and video, understanding the requirements for costumes that reveal and permit motion in such settings, and providing design knowledge for choreographers who are interested in working in those areas.
All applications received by the January 6, 2019 deadline will receive full consideration.
TO APPLY: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF05024
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: The Claire Trevor School of the Arts, Department of Dance at the University of California, Irvine enrolls 165 undergraduate dance majors and 20 graduate students in B.A., B.F.A., and M.F.A. degrees in Dance. The department, with 15 full-time and several part-time faculty, has been recognized as one of the nation's outstanding dance programs. UCI alumni have danced with professional dance companies, in film and television, on Broadway, in national tours, and are employed as university dance faculty nationwide and internationally. The department's facilities include six dance studios, a motion capture studio, and a Dancer Wellness/ Pilates Suite. Students perform in three theatres (including an Experimental Media Performance Lab) and participate in collaborative telematic projects. Irvine is located in Orange County, about 45 miles south of Los Angeles and five miles from the Pacific Ocean. Visit our website at http://dance.arts.uci.edu
Job location Irvine, California
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement. Statement of teaching fine and performing arts students.
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Samples of Designs for Dance - photographs or drawings of dance costume designs
- Course Syllabi - Course syllabi are required if you have previously taught costume design courses at the college or university level.
- Student Evaluations of Teaching - Course evaluations submitted by students are required if you have previously taught college/university level classes. Please provide at least one quarter, or one semesters evaluations.
- 3-5 letters of reference required
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now