Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date May 3, 2018
Position Title Cage Supervisor
Vacancy # V-1469
Department Broadcast and Media Operations
Division Academic Affairs
The cage supervisor is responsible for the equipment cage operations, which includes digital cinema and television equipment/facilities reservations, assisting students, faculty and staff with any technology related questions in accordance with the field of concentration. The cage supervisor will work to revise and develop protocols and procedures relating to the care and use of location equipment. In addition, this staff position will be assigned to other tasks including presenting equipment workshops to students and faculty, facility security of the building i.e.: locking and securing studios, control rooms etc. The successful candidate is expected to set a professional tone in regard toward equipment that students will be expected to emulate. Based on academic schedule, this position may be daytime, evening hours and weekends when necessary.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise the equipment cage operations. Maintain and develop procedures that will serve busy academic film/television programs, while insuring proper care and maintenance of equipment.
- Provide access to and develop/ supervises appropriate training programs for students, staff, student assistants and others.
- Supervise and assist in the check in/check out of equipment for classes and student productions.
- Maintain the equipment room and ensure that equipment is organized according to industry production rental standards.
- Maintain and update equipment inventory and perform general preventive maintenance. Identify equipment that requires further evaluation by engineering.
- Instruct students and staff on the features and proper use of equipment.
- Provide equipment-related support and production support in curricular, faculty and client needs.
- Ensure that production facilities are properly supervised and secured.
- Attends and participate in meetings or college events related to the position.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director and Associate Director.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college.
- Demonstrated knowledge of camera, lighting, sound, and production equipment is required.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION