Student Support Services Case Manager
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date August 31, 2018
Position Title Student Support Services Case Manager
Vacancy # V-1548
Department Dean of Students
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
The Student Support Services Case Manager will facilitate student access to, and maximize utilization of, University and/or community resources and services from matriculation through graduation. This position reports to the Associate Dean of Students/Deputy Title IX Coordinator and is critical to the efforts of the Dean of Students office to address the expanding needs of students in support of personal and academic success. It is expected this position will effectively collaborate and consult with students, faculty, staff, and families.
The Student Support Services Case Manager is charged with coordinating a collaborative, comprehensive, and customer service focused approach to implement a plan of care for students in need. The Support Specialist will assess issues, evaluate options for care, collaborate with campus partners, facilitate access to resources, and advocate when necessary to help students overcome obstacles. This individual will also manage and implement community-wide programs and services.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide administrative and case management leadership for sensitive student problems, which includes but is not limited to, referrals to community agencies, entitlement programs, and off-campus resources, to ensure continuity of care and access to support.
- Navigate social services, including Section 8 housing vouchers, rental assistance programs and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- Build active relationships with community partners and social service agencies to best serve students experiencing homelessness and/or food insecurity.
- Liaise with campus providers to address concerns holistically and advocate for support.
- Co-manage the multi-disciplinary CARE/Behavioral Intervention team, evaluate the Student of Concern form submissions, and execute a coordinated intervention plan.
- Assess and offer direct support to students experiencing and/or causing distress with the potential for harm or violence (either directed towards self or others).
- Manage the Red Hawk Fellows program (RHF) offering educational programs, support, and resources to emancipated, former foster care, and independent students experiencing challenges in the pursuit of a degree.
- Collaborate directly with Admissions and high-school counselors to identify eligible participants for the Red Hawk Fellows (RHF) Program.
- Liaise with Financial Aid to assist RHF students with maximizing financial aid options.
- Support the bystander intervention programs: train students and staff to recognize and intervene in circumstances likely to result in harm or violence.
- Provide educational programing and events to engage students and the community.
- Analyze, collect participation data, and report out on program outcomes to leadership.
- Supervise graduate student(s) studying social work, counseling, or other related degree.
- Assist the Associate Dean of Students and Dean of Students team with ad hoc projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A Master's degree in a related field, e.g., Counseling for Mental Health, Social Work.
- Four to five years of relevant full-time professional experience in higher education or related field.
- Experience securing social service and funding support for clients struggling with homelessness, food insecurity, and/or other social issues.
- Experience in crisis intervention, advocacy, referrals, on-and-off campus service coordination, problem-solving, and support to individuals impacted by traumatic or disruptive life events.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex and fast-paced crisis situations with sensitivity.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks effectively and adapt easily to changing or conflicting priorities.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of issues of diversity and inclusion.
- Candidate will be required to work some evening and weekend hours as needed.
- Current knowledge and experience applying best practices and legal or procedural regulations to address case management needs.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the University environment, higher education case management, Care/Behavioral Intervention Teams.
- Experience developing and delivering training programs, presentations, and/or educational opportunities for faculty, staff, and clients.
- Demonstrated leadership and effectiveness in promoting respect and appreciation for diversity and inclusion among students, faculty, staff, and families.
- Experience handling confidential and sensitive information and situations with diplomacy exercising excellent judgment.
- Superior critical thinking and organization skills with the ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication, including experience conducting presentations.
Commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION