Assistant Professor of Art: Graphic Design and Studio Art
The College of Arts and Sciences at Athens State University seeks applicants for two full-time, tenure-track positions at the rank of Assistant Professor of Art: Graphic Design and Studio Art beginning August, 2019.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Earned MFA in Art, Graphic Art, or Digital Design and experience teaching at the baccalaureate level or higher, including graduate teaching experience.
DUTIES AND DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Specific duties and desired qualifications for each position include: Assistant Professor of Art: Graphic Design
- Developing and teaching undergraduate, upper-level courses in graphic design and digital media in a variety of delivery modes.
- Experience in Digital Design, Design Thinking, and Project-based learning.
- Teaching interests in one or more of the following interactive areas: information design - IA/UI/UX, motion graphics, social media, and brand identity.
- Experience in curriculum development, informed by contemporary theories and pedagogy in Graphic Design, Typography, and User Experience Design.
- Interest in emerging technology areas, including critical studies of digital technology, immersive media, new media research methods, physical digital integration, game design, data visualization, ambient computing, virtual/augmented reality, interactive narrative, physical computing, user experience design, and mobile development, 3D modeling and printing, web or mobile applications, motion, multimedia.
- Expertise in the digital craft of typography as applied to screen-rendered media, such as websites, user interface design, and motion graphics.
Assistant Professor of Art: Studio Art
- Developing and teaching undergraduate, upper-level courses in Advanced Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, Printmaking, Ceramics, and Individual Studio.
- Experience and interest in broad array of genres—drawing, painting, printmaking, and/or sculpture.
- Experience in ceramics, hand building, and wheel techniques.
- Proficiency in kiln work and clay making.
- Professional understanding of art theory and criticism.
- An active professional creative practice that may include a record of projects, exhibitions, and presentations.
In addition to adhering to the general faculty guidelines, as specified by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, faculty duties will include:
Review of applications will begin November 26, 2018 and continue until filled.
- Working closely with Art students to assist them in reaching program goals and learning outcomes.
- Engaging in professional development, scholarship, and creative work appropriate for a teaching institution to maintain currency in disciplinary fields(s).
- Holding office hours and advising students.
- Participating in service, including department and university committees and activities.
- A desire to work across disciplines, as our students often push disciplinary boundaries.
- Working with business/industry/community partners in the region to develop programs and learning opportunities that respond to regional needs.
- Contributing to the University’s mission.
- Assuming other professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Dean of the College and Provost.