General Statement of Duties:
This position will deliver individual and group career advising and classroom presentations in order to assist students in becoming more informed about career options, choice of academic major, and opportunities related to their personal and professional objectives. The Career Development Advisor will develop a thorough understanding of career opportunities and industry trends related to academic degree programs offered at Alma College.
Specific Duties Preformed:
- Serve as a Career Coach to students by providing appointments on the following topics: resume development; job and internship searching; job interviewing; career exploration and direction; personality and strengths assessment; selecting an academic major; building a LinkedIn profile; graduate school preparation, and personal statement development.
- Stay abreast of relevant career preparation and graduate school resources; as well as career opportunities related to academic degree programs.
- Present in classes, seminars, and workshops on topics related to career preparation, and develop relevant curriculum as necessary.
- Supervise five student staff and train all student employees in the Center for Student Opportunity.
- Administer the First Destination Survey to all graduating seniors and report findings.
- Develop and implement online career preparation content for students.
- Develop a career closet for Alma students.
- Conduct survey evaluations to assess the effectiveness of appointments and presentations offered to students.
- Plan and host career development events: Career Week, Suit Up Event, Junior and Senior All Class Conference.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to develop on campus job postings and application processes.
- Serve on the Work to Earn committee which guarantees work study position to incoming students.
- Facilitate ongoing relationships with faculty and staff to impact students on career development.
- Serve as a Transition Coach for the First Year Seminar program.
- Develop relationships and collaborate with student workers, student clubs, professional organizations, employer and faculty to co-market events and resources
- Other duties assigned by the Director of Career Coaching.
Reports to: Director of Career Coaching
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in career development, human resources, student development, or a related field
- Demonstrated positive interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicated effectively and project a positive image
- Ability to balance several projects and meet deadlines
- Master’s degree
- 3-5+ years of work experience
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application, a letter of interest, a current resume, and the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references to Sheila Boyer, Student Affairs Office Associate, at email@example.com.
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897-employment-application.
Deadline for applications is November 16, 2018.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.