Associate Professor / Professor - Director of CGL
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Colorado Genetics Laboratory (CGL) in the Department of Pathology is a state of the art cytogenetic and molecular diagnostic test reference laboratory that serves University Hospital, affiliated hospitals and health care providers/patients nationwide. The Department of Pathology seeks a full-time, mid-level to senior academic Cytogeneticist to join our faculty at the rank of Associate Professor / Professor and Director of CGL as a member of the University of Colorado, School of Medicine. Applicants must be clinically certified in Cytogenetics (MD or PhD) and have at least 5 years of experience in Cytogenetics, with administrative and leadership skills, knowledge of molecular diagnostic methods and a track record of educational and scholarly work.
Nature of Work:
Candidates with strong clinical and scientific background, experience in laboratory leadership and management, extensive expertise in clinical cytogenetics and genetics. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required. This position may include opportunities for clinical and translational research, as well as test development.
Clinical and Administrative/Leadership Service:
This position requires day-to-day clinical, educational, leadership and administrative duties including:
- Independent case review and interpretation.
- Coordinated leadership/management with the Department of Pathology's Director of Finance and Administration, Vice Chair of Clinical Pathology and Department Chair, in regards to clinical quality, productivity, recruitment, retention, human resources, financial metrics, billing, capital expenditure and management.
- Administrative/personnel responsibilities.
- Consultation with provider clients and patients.
- Oversight of quality assurance/quality management/quality improvement programs.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory agency requirements, including maintenance of certification by the College of American Pathologists.
- Resource for, and oversight of, employee and technologist training.
- Weekly organizational meetings with CGL lab managers.
- Conduct quarterly Advisory Committee meetings.
Education and scholarly activities:
- Provide on-site supervision of Department of Pathology resident and fellowship trainees, who rotate through CGL on a monthly basis.
- Didactic instruction and oversight of undergraduate and graduate trainees in medicine and healthcare related fields associated with the University of Colorado.
- Continued education including attendance at national annual meetings, such as ACMG (American College of Medical Genetics & Genomics), ASHG (American Society of Human Genetics), Cancer Genomics Consortium (CGC).
- Applied research and development projects directed towards unique or improved laboratory tests and services for CGL.
- Development of research projects with the goal of program project/Cancer Center support.
- Engagement in translational or clinical research, with academic scholarly productivity commensurate with academic track and rank.
Academic Administrative Activities:
- Participation in departmental, school, and professional committees.
- Participation in CU Medicine disciplinary and interdisciplinary clinical conferences related to cytogenetic field.
- Service on national professional organizations' committees (e.g., ACMG, ASHG, CGC, AMP, and CAP).
- Certification for COG (Children's Oncology Group) case review.
- Review of CAP Surveys.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Candidates must have an MD or DO terminal degree with ABMGG board certification in Clinical Cytogenetics and Genomics OR a have a PhD with ABMGG board certification in Clinical Cytogenetics and Genomics.
Applicants, who have five or more years' experience as a clinical cytogenetics laboratory Director or Co-Director.
Applicants who are ABMGG board certification in Clinical Molecular Genetics and Genomics.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09452
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20112 - SOM-Pathology
Posting Date: May 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Matt Bilby
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00702595