Assistant Dean of Students
University of Texas at El Paso
Job ID: 4129
Job Title: Assistant Dean of Students
FLSA Status: Exempt
About the University:
The University of Texas at El Paso is an emerging national research university in the heart of the U.S.-Mexico border region, in a city of over 700,000 people. UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students, of whom nearly 80 percent are Latino. UTEP comprises eight academic colleges and schools, along with a graduate school. With over $95 million in research expenditures, UTEP was recently ranked No. 1 in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility.
Purpose of Position:
The Assistant Dean of Students is responsible for enhancing the academic education of our students through the development and oversight of policies, procedures and programs that promote personal and professional growth and development. This position plays a primary role in supporting the Dean of Students in both the day-to-day functions as well as broader visioning for Dean of Students Office and the Student Engagement wing of the Division of Student Affairs. The Assistant Dean assumes responsibilities for the Dean of Students in his/her absence, and communicates with important stakeholders on behalf of the Dean and the Office. The Assistant Dean of Students plays an integral role in the academic and professional development of students’ assets through a variety of high-impact experiences. In order to be successful, the Assistant Dean will need to work collaboratively with the Division of Student Affairs, Academic Affairs and Business Affairs and many offices throughout the University.
Department and Division Leadership and Management:
- In partnership with the Dean, provide leadership, management and support to the departments, units and organizations that report to the Associate Vice President and Dean of Students.
- Serves as a member of the Student Engagement Leadership Team and contribute to the broader institutional goals of increasing participation by students in student life activities and UTEP Edge high-impact experiences such as on-campus student employment, study abroad, student leadership or internships and specific events such as but not limited to Minerpalooza, Community of Care, Project MOVE and the Regional Leadership Conference.
- Supports Directors in developing, implementing and conducting comprehensive department assessment plans that include evidence of student learning and student and customer satisfaction as well as monthly Department Dashboards, Impact Reports and strategic plans containing specific and measurable goals and objectives.
- Serves as a primary resource for faculty, staff and students on behavioral issues, issues related to academic success, physical or mental health, financial struggles and transition challenges as well as rules, policies and procedures outlined in Regents Rules and the Handbook of Operating Procedures that pertain to students such as free speech and assembly, student travel, student organizations and the student code of conduct.
Student Engagement and Student Success:
- Meets with students who are struggling with issues related to academic success, physical or mental health, financial struggles and transition challenges, addressing concerns and referring student to on and off-campus resources.
- Directly responsible for the facilitation of several institutional programs and activities including but not limited to Alcohol Awareness Week, Hazing Prevention Week and RUOK Day and creating opportunities for involvement for students that promote student responsibility and accountability.
- Anticipate, evaluate and address changes in student needs, in order to design and implement programs and services to improve the student experience on campus and support student success.
- Develop and implement a robust marketing and outreach plan that not only encourages students to take advantage of resources available on-campus, but contributes significantly to the overall retention of students at the University.
- Provides direct oversight of the UTEP Food Pantry and collaborate with Financial Aid, the Foster, Homeless, Resource and Adoptive program and others to provide emergency aid to students in need.
Emergency/Crisis Management and Institutional Compliance:
- Provide individual case management for students who are experiencing crisis and intervene directly in highly sensitive cases involving critical illness/injury, mental health and other concerns, coordinating resources, support and interim measures to ensure academic success.
- Establish strong partnerships with the Assistant Vice President for Student Support, Counseling and Psychological Services, the UTEP Police Department, Environmental Health and Safety and Parking and Transportation Services and others necessary to manage critical incidents and support student success.
- Assure compliance with laws and regulations and minimize institutional liability by systematically reviewing University compliance with federal and state mandated reporting and disclosure requirements under the pursue of the Dean of Students Office, including but not limited to the production and dissemination of notices to students and/or the university community such as the Annual Security Report, notification required of the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act and Anti-Hazing Notifications.Remain knowledgeable of federal, state, and local laws and regulations affecting areas of responsibility, creating and modifying policies, procedures, and practices in order to become/remain compliant, and advising others in the interpretation and application of laws and regulations as appropriate.
- Ensures that staff, faculty and students maintain appropriate certifications, training and/or awareness of campus, state and federal policies, procedures, protocols and resources through the development and facilitation of training programs, educational materials and online modules and platforms.
- Serve as a member of the institution’s Behavioral Assessment Team.
- Serves as a member of the University-wide on-call/duty rotation.
Participates in various committees, professional trainings, industry conferences, and conventions.
Some travel required.
Knowledge of all Microsoft Office software, housing data-base system and able to learn and use institutional software systems.
Complies with all State and University policies.
Other duties may be assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's objectives, policies and applicable laws.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Master’s Degree in student development, higher education or related field.
Five years post master’s professional, student affairs work experience with progressive responsibility at a college or university. Direct experience with crisis management and adjudication of student conduct in a higher education environment. Supervisory experience and an ability to plan strategically, develop innovative programs, collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, develop and fiscally manage budgets and resources. Proven success working with students, parents, administrators and faculty. Experience in advising college/university student organizations, facilitating workshops, training staff, students and faculty. Experience in decision-making, problem-solving and the ability to work in a diverse environment.
Seven years post masters, professional student affairs experience at a college or university. Demonstrated professional involvement in NASPA, ACPA, regional student affairs organization, or other professional organization. Experience with Behavioral Assessment Teams, Banner Student Information System and Maxient Student Conduct Software.
UTEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates may apply by visiting www.utep.edu/employment