Chair: Department of Humanities
The Department of Humanities at Michigan Technological University seeks an exceptional scholar with a national profile to serve as Department Chair. The successful candidate will be a dynamic, experienced leader with an outstanding scholarly record and proven commitment to excellent teaching and service. The field of specialization is open, but must be consonant with the fields represented within the department. The selected candidate will provide leadership and administrative vision to lead the Humanities Department in its mission of excellence in research, teaching, and service, and will elevate the department's prominence in multidisciplinary humanistic research.
The Department of Humanities consists of 34 full-time faculty members, two part-time faculty members, three full-time staff members, and one part-time staff member. The department offers B.A. and B.S. degrees in Scientific and Technical Communication; B.A. degrees in English and Communication, Culture and Media; and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Rhetoric, Theory, and Culture.
For a full version of this ad, visit http://www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/7407
- A Ph.D. degree in a discipline of the department.
- An associate or full professor with demonstrated national/international scholarly achievement.
- Demonstrated administrative leadership experience in academia.
- Experience in working with degree-granting programs in the humanities.
- Ability to manage organizational budgets.
- Demonstrated national/international scholarly achievement sufficient to merit promotion to full professor rank at the time of appointment.
- Experience in administering undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Ability to lead in developing innovative and distinctive education and research programs.
- Experience in strategic planning and in generating resources through fundraising and outreach.
- Experience in supervising professional staff and fostering a flexible and inclusive work environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships and to effectively recognize and resolve conflicts and mediate disputes.
For full consideration, please submit the following application materials at http://www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/7407 by November 26, 2018.
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of research interests
- Statement of teaching and administrative philosophies
- Names and contact information for five professional references; letters of reference will be requested at a later stage of the hiring process
For more information about the Department of Humanities at Michigan Tech, visit https://www.mtu.edu/humanities/
Michigan Technological University is an EOE, which includes protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE Institution, one of a limited number of universities in receipt of NSF funds in support of our commitment to increase diversity and the participation and advancement of women in STEM.
Michigan Tech acknowledges the importance of supporting spouses/partners; and retaining a quality workforce. See Partner Engagement Program for additional information.