Professional Research Assistant
Areas of Intereset: Research
Functional Areas: College of Arts & Sciences
Department: Department of Physics
Requisition Number: 13762
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: Research Faculty
The Betterton Lab seeks to hire a technician to work on mechanisms of mitotic spindle assembly with a focus on motor proteins required for this essential step in chromosome segregation. This work explores a fundamental problem in basic cancer research using fission yeast as a model system. The job responsibilities will be to support our lab’s work on the mechanisms on kinesin-5 motor proteins in mitosis. The work will include protein purification, molecular biology, and fission yeast culturing and genetics as well as basic lab support.
Who We Are
The Betterton lab in the departments of physics and MCD biology studies the physics and cellular biology of mitosis.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Protein purification for assays including gliding motility assays
- Work with Dr. Zachary Gergely, our lab manager to assist with growing fission yeast, genetic crosses, studying mutant phenotypes, and microscopy preparation
- Molecular biology to assist Dr. Shelly Jones in creating kinesin-5 mutants
- Support with daily routines and lab chores including media and buffer preparation, glassware washing, etc.
- Will be expected to present work at lab meetings
What We Can Offer
Salary commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Brilliant. Be Curious. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- An undergraduate degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, biological engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with protein expression and purification.
What You Will Need
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
What We Would Like You To Have
- Previous research experience is desirable.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
2. Cover Letter
3. Copy of Degree
4. At least 2 letters of recommendation (non-confidential)
Review of applications will begin on October 25, 2018; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer