Coordinator I, Upward Bound-Grant Funded
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499.
The Coordinator I, Upward Bound will be responsible for providing academic support to low-income, under-served, and first-generation students by coordinating different academic and cultural activities. Provide academic and financial advising, as well as sociocultural exposure to underserved low-income, first-generation Upward Bound students to promote graduation from high school and the timely attainment of a post-secondary degree. Assist the Director in retention efforts, as well as in the overall mission of the Upward Bound program by maintaining contact with students, parents, and alumni throughout the academic and summer components of the program.
- Develop Individual Academic Plan with each student to foster necessary skills for academic success in college
- Advise and assist high school students & dual credit students on their academic coursework, college admissions process, and long-term academic plans
- Monitor students' academic progress & submit monthly advising reports; Track and record daily statistical information regarding transcripts, transcript evaluation, and diplomas
- Plan and implement academic, financial, and sociocultural workshops for Upward Bound students and parents to be presented during the monthly Lunch and Learn Workshops, Saturday College Preps, or the yearly Upward Bound Summer Program
- Utilize and leverage contacts and relationships with Lone Star College colleagues as well as community members to complete job tasks and assignments
- Coordinate, conduct, and communicate events with local area high schools, dual credit schools, and outside organizations; promote student participation in the program through innovative activities such as raffle drawings, scholarships, & support activities
- Manage the recruiting process of students into the Upward Bound program at different school campuses. Participate in high school events and special programs
- Research and maintain up to date knowledge of academic programs, college admissions process, financial aid process, assessment, and academic advisement
- Collect and input student contact data for multiple event types including weekly advising, monthly tutorials, Saturday College Preps, and other official functions
- Evaluate student account concerns involving Financial Aid with the use of Lone Star College systems and the Department of Education Data Systems
- Respond to student/parent questions through telephone, e-mail, and oral & written forms of communication
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail
- Excellent knowledge of general office and software applications
- Ability to prepare and analyze reports
- Possesses good organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize duties
- High level of customer service
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile
- No special physical demands are required to perform the work
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Associate's degree and at least 1 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance.
This includes 22-23 days paid holidays and up to 12 annual vacation days, full comprehensive benefits package, wellness program, professional development opportunities and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 2700 WW Thorne Dr (0100) , 2700 WW Thorne Dr , Houston , 77073
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC North Harris - 01
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Oct 29, 2018, 10:30:40 PM