Facilities-Gen - 152000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday, 40 hours/week
The Auxiliary Planning group within the FPDC, at the University of North Texas is the project management team responsible for improvements to campus residence and dining halls. The team is seeking to hire a Design Manager to join our team.
Facilities Planning, Design and Construction (FPDC) consists of six sub-groups: Campus Planning, Auxiliary Planning, Landscape Planning, Engineering, Estimating, Construction Inspection, and Facilities Information Services. For additional information on FPDC you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/planning-design-construction
The primary purpose of FPDC is to oversee planning, design, renovation and construction efforts to physical facilities on the UNT Denton campus and to maintain all building records for the campus. FPDC is responsible for serving the campus as a resource for estimating, site design, architectural, landscape and interior design, construction management, furniture procurement, campus mapping, space analysis, & long-range planning services and ensuring compliance with all applicable State & Federal statutes, laws and codes related to State buildings, procurement and construction. FPDC also maintains building records for all campus facilities including utility & infrastructure maps, surveys, site plans, floor plans, construction documents, & other building records. We also act in an advisory capacity for System managed projects.
As one of the nation's largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of approximately 38,000 students. UNT is a student-focused Tier One Public Research University with 12 colleges and schools offering 101 bachelors, 82 masters, and 38 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there's something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America's 100 Best College Buys® for 21 consecutive years, the state's most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a "Best in the West" university. Livability.com named Denton the 9th Best College Town in the nation.
The Facilities organization at UNT is a service provider comprised of the following divisions FPDC; Facilities Maintenance (FM) and Facilities Support & Services (FSS). We are responsible for the planning, renovation, maintenance and repair of university buildings and facilities, as well as other services playing an essential role to the mission of the University of North Texas. Facilities has over 325 employees who lead the way in caring for and operating over 170 facilities and 904 acres of landscape. Our goal is to provide world-class support for the University by ensuring safe, reliable, efficient facility and utility services delivered with outstanding customer services and effective stewardship of resources and the environment. For additional information on Facilities, you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/maintenance . University of North Texas Career Bands are located on the Human Resources website at: www.hr.unt.edu under the subtitle of Pay Plan.
The Facilities Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Design Specialist to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Provide management oversight for all phases (programming, design & construction) of the project, including coordinating consultants, contractors, material, and equipment, ensuring that specifications are being followed, and work is proceeding on schedule and within budget.
* Prepares estimates, drawings, and specifications to be accomplished by Facilities personnel or by contract.
* Work performed under the supervision of the Auxiliary Planning Manager.
* Oversight of team will include Project Designers and Student design assistants.
* The design manager is expected to be a resource for others in the resolution of complex problems and issues.
* Assignments are broad in nature and usually require creativity and originality.
Auxiliary Services summer projects requires flexible hours during the months of May thru August. Some irregular hours during these times will be required.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Engineering or Interior Design and five years of professional design experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Excellent communication skills.
* Physical ability to access work areas which may be in confined spaces or elevated heights.
* Knowledge of appropriate building codes, safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
* Demonstrated proficiency in building design and construction.
* Proficiency in AutoCAD and other specific software required.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Proficient in AutoCAD , with ability to mentor student workers to increase their AutoCAD skills.
* Proficient in Sketch up.
* Proven relevant experience managing medium to large construction projects in the field.
* Experience with estimating and managing contractors and sub-contractors.
* Experience working in a university setting or educational institution.
* Excellent communication, management and organization skills.
* Knowledge and use of Microsoft Office products especially Excel for estimating.
* Ability to communicate with a wide variety of communication styles and able to communicate with personnel at all levels.
* Experience and knowledge of building codes, OSHA regulations, and construction industry standards.
* Possess a strong sense of customer service, and keen sense of responsiveness to concerns.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting