Research Finance Coordinator
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics - Grant Coordinator
Position #745355- CU Careers Requisition #13424
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and inter-professional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Nature of Work
The Department of Pediatrics has an opening for a full-time Research Finance Coordinator to work at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The major function of the Research Finance Coordinator will be to work directly with Section Principal Investigators in performing pre-award and post-award grant and research financial management. Active participation in the grants management aspects of funded Pediatric Cardiology and Neonatology research initiatives. To ensure standardization and consistency, this position will train with the Department of Pediatrics (DOP) centralized grants and contracts team. This position will be an integral part of the administrative team and will be expected to complete other tasks as assigned as well as assist, guide and work as a liaison between the DOP grants specialist team and the Sections of Cardiology and Neonatology.The Department of Pediatrics has an opening for a full-time Research Finance Coordinator to work at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The major function of the Research Finance Coordinator will be to work directly with Section Principal Investigators in performing pre-award and post-award grant and research financial management. Active participation in the grants management aspects of funded Pediatric Cardiology and Neonatology research initiatives. To ensure standardization and consistency, this position will train with the Department of Pediatrics (DOP) centralized grants and contracts team. This position will be an integral part of the administrative team and will be expected to complete other tasks as assigned as well as assist, guide and work as a liaison between the DOP grants specialist team and the Sections of Cardiology and Neonatology.
The position will be responsible for both financial and financially-related administrative aspects of the section's Academic and Research missions, to include preparation and analyses of application budgets and grants management, under the direction of the department's centralized grants and contracts management structure.
Examples of Work Performed
- Manage pre-award activities and post-award grant/research financial management to include:
- Pre-award responsibilities for this position include, but not limited to:
- Act as liaison between the Section's Principal Investigators and DOP centralized pre-award team, assisting with grant preparation
- Development of section policies and procedures for (pre-award) proposal preparation and review while ensuring alignment with DOP pre-award guidelines
- Advise, communicate and reinforce sponsor instructions regarding the application, grant budget, allowable costs, and applicable indirect cost rates
- Oversee PI Bio-Sketch and other support templates and maintain section specific repository for future applications
- Develop a calendar of submission cycle deadlines (current and future) and other research related opportunities by sponsor and communicate with PI's
- Assist PI's with identifying new funding opportunities
- Assist PI's with preparation, submission, review and approval process of internally routed applications through InfoEd system or directly through sponsor's grant management website
- Assist with the drafting of letters of intents for sponsors
- Assist PI's with submission of their manuscripts
- Prepare and submit COMIRB protocols and continuing applications
- Prepare and submit IACUC protocols
- For post-award responsibilities this position includes, but not limited to:
- Maintain schedule of sponsor reporting requirements for existing awards - both financially and scientifically
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings (monthly, quarterly) with PI to discuss financial projections
- In working with UCD OGC ensure invoices to sponsors are submitted timely
- Work with PI's and UCD OGC to ensure all progress reports are submitted
- Ensure invoices from subcontractors are received and processed/paid timely
- Regularly review DOP salary spreadsheets and funding sources for faculty and staff, making any necessary funding distribution and/or PET changes required
- Prepare, submit journal entries to UCD Finance as needed
- Manage University ePER effort certification process to ensure they are timely and within deadline period
- Maintain grant award files for awarded grants and contracts; will monitor start, renewal and end dates to provide assurance of proper and current award documentation
- Serve as a resource for the sections of Cardiology's and Neonatology's PI's to help problem solve and document trends
- Creation and submission of CU Marketplace purchase requisitions for purchases related to research, as needed
- Close-out of awards
- Ensure accurate speed type set-up
- Prepare special reports as requested
- Work with the Department of Pediatrics WebSpace point of contact to complete annual UCD space inventory
- Maintain record of research equipment inventory
- Establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with colleagues, the Children's Hospital Colorado (CHCO), other off-site collaborators and commercial entities
- All research related duties as assigned
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position has been established at $49,000 to $60,000 and is commensurate with skills, experience and employment time with the University of Colorado.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in business-related (accounting, finance, administration) field and/or research-related field
- Substitution: A combination of education and relevant professional work experience will be considered in lieu of the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- 2 years of experience with grant administration
Conditions of Employment
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a 10-panel drug test
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a national criminal and sex-offender background check
- A master's degree in accounting, finance, or business administration is preferred.
- Professional accounting experience
- Previous experience in biomedical research operations, grants and contracts management and financial management is desired.
- Grant and contract experience, knowledge of PeopleSoft HR, Infoed, Cognos, CIW and finance systems is also desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting and business practices
- Willingness to learn new systems and accept new challenges of a dynamic research funding environment
- Attention to detail, analysis, timeliness and accuracy consistent with sound accounting and business practice
- Above-average knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Excel and Access)
- Motivation, ability and interpersonal skills to work independently and manage multiple projects and customers simultaneously
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to Peggy Roddy at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by May 18, 2018. Those who do not apply by May 18, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20269 - SOM-PEDS General Operations
Posting Date: Aug 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Peggy Roddy
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00745355