Laborer, Transportation Services
$35,078 - $48,108
University of California, Riverside's Transportation and Parking Services is currently recruiting for a new Laborer. Transportation and Parking Services' vision is to be the example of efficiency and sustainability in our industry, with a mission to move UCR forward with innovative, environmentally-sound, and resourceful transportation options for the future growth of our community.
Our new Laborer will support our customers access to Transportation and Parking Services facilities and equipment. The Laborer will assist with the safe and efficient operations of parking facilities by performing tasks such as the deployment of barricades and signs, and monitoring activities and equipment in assigned areas of the campus to ensure that the population is safe and services are readily available. The Laborer will perform various unskilled manual labor tasks, to include tagging abandoned bikes, cutting bike locks, dig and/or fill holes for parking lot signage installation, transporting various materials and equipment to/from parking facilities. The Laborer will also maintain or high-levels of customer service by answering basic questions from students, staff, faculty, and the general public regarding our building and parking lot locations, or by referring to the appropriate resource.
Ability to perform heavy manual tasks and follow oral and written instructions.
Ability to read, write, and perform basic mathematical calculations. Ability to follow verbal and written communications and instructions in English. Ability to understand, interpret and follow safety policies and rules.
Ability to work successfully as part of a team. Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and organizational skills. Demonstrated time management skills; ability to use time correctly and professionally within University policy while keeping departmental goals and objectives in mind.
Ability to communicate with ordinary dispatch communications received over a 2-way radio and to learn and use appropriate radio-code language. Ability to use computers.
Knowledge of the use and maintenance of a variety of hand and power tools and equipment.
Ability to perform job functions around moving vehicles.
Physical requirements: ability to walk and stand for various durations, up to a full 8 hour shift, walking over uneven surfaces, around moving and parked vehicles, and hilly terrain. Ability to bend, kneel, stoop, squat and sit; ability to lift and carry objects such as parking barricades, cones and immobilization devices weighing up to 40 pounds.
Experience operating and current certifications for aerial work platforms and/or forklifts.
Previous experience with parking, security, or event management industry.
Basic First Aid and/or CPR certification.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview