Community Service Officer (Part - Time)
Job ID: 24723
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job Code: 8820
Department: MLK Library Security
Classification: Community Service Specialist I
Anticipated Salary: $1,898/month (Part - Time)
Salary Range: $2,600/month - $4,370/month (Full - Time)
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
*This is a part-time benefited position with rotating work hours, including weekends and evenings.*
Reports to and receives supervision from the Lead Library Security Officer. The Community Service Officer is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for the patrons, staff, collections, and facilities of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Encourage compliance with library policies
- Report suspected hazards and criminal behavior
- Provide assistance to patrons and staff as requested
- Respond to alarms and other calls for service
- Write police reports
- Respond to alarms from theft detection devices
- Provide information to patrons coming to the library
- Monitor Closed Circuit Television surveillance system
- Monitor Integrated Security System and Alarms
- Monitor Elevator Command Computer System
- Operate Radio Base Station for Security Officers and UPD
After appointment, Library Security Officers must successfully complete the appropriate training program designed by the University Police Department.
The Library Security Officer must have the ability to walk, stand, sit, see in appropriate color vision, hear in an appropriate range of sounds, balance, climb, twist, bend, and reach with hands and arms. Assignments will require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time, and may be indoors or outdoors. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment.
The work environment is a multi-story library building and the exterior walkways and access ways. Any indoor assignment may require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time. Employees may be exposed to weather conditions and outdoor temperatures. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment. Incumbents are assigned to shift work and rotated among various assignments.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Valid California Driver's License
Must successfully complete a University Police Background investigation, which includes fingerprinting. Must not have been convicted of a felony in this state or any other, or convicted of any federal violation, which would have been a felony if committed in this state. Qualified applicants will be required to pass a written test in order to advance to the interview stage.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Six month previous police/security/military law enforcement training and/or experience
- Library Security Experience
- Customer Services Experience
- Strong written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to quickly learn, understand, and apply specific San Jose State University and City of San Jose rules and regulations.
- Ability to understand and apply local, state, and federal laws.
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn to use, applicable public safety related equipment and systems.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to act calmly and rationally in emergency situations.
- Ability to understand and operate a computer card key badging station.
- Ability to understand and operate an InfoGraphics Alarms system.
- Ability to learn Police 10 code.
- Ability to use handheld radio communication system.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural and socio-economic community environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to act calmly and rationally in emergency situations.
- Ability to monitor CCTV screens for extended periods.
- Must possess a valid California Drivers license
August 29, 2018
Application Screening begins September 14, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046