Assistant Professor of Elementary Social Studies Education
Position Number 001360
Functional Title Assistant Professor of Elementary Social Studies Education
Position Type Tenure Stream
The faculty member will be prepared to do the following:
• Teach elementary social studies methods courses at the undergraduate, masters, and doctoral levels;
• Establish a robust research agenda that is appropriate for a Doctoral/Research Intensive institution;
• Coordinate and provide leadership for the Elementary Social Studies program, including involvement with the university partnership school (https://mossstreet.uncg.edu);
• Advise and mentor graduate students;
• Demonstrate a commitment to working with culturally and linguistically diverse populations and building collaborations with faculty across university departments and in local public schools;
• Contribute to the overall teaching research, and service mission of the School of Education.
Candidates must have an:
• Earned doctorate in Elementary Education with a strong emphasis in Social Studies Education, conferred by August 1, 2019
• Demonstrated scholarship (e.g., publications, presentations) in Elementary Social Studies
• Evidence of at least three years of successful K-6 teaching experience.
The successful applicant will have:
• An active research agenda with potential for a strong publication record and potential success for success in obtaining external funding;
• Evidence of, or potential for, excellence in teaching K-12 prospective and/or practicing teachers;
• Strong interests in partnerships with public schools.
Candidates who are of color, have varying sexual orientations or gender identity/expression, and/or are from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Tenure Status Tenure Track
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit electronically:
(1) an application letter addressing the stated responsibilities and qualifications, as well as a research statement and teaching philosophy statement; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) names and contact information of three references, who will be available to submit letters upon request at a later date.
Applicants are asked to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) contacts to provide Letters of Recommendation, in the References section of the electronic application. These contacts will be solicited by the UNCGjobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur when candidates are being considered for a possible interview.
Submit application through the UNCG job search system at spartantalent.uncg.edu (position number 001360).
For further information, contact Dr. Wayne Journell, Search Committee Chair, at [email protected]
Recruitment Range Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Org #-Department Teacher Education-Higher Education - 12006
Job Open Date 10/29/2018
For Best Consideration Date 11/16/2018
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment Permanent
Number of Months per Year 9
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship?
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu