Enrollment Data Scientist & Econometrician
Florida’s only public university exclusively teaching science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as the Enrollment Data Scientist & Econometrician.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The enrollment data scientist & econometrician will assist enrollment operations to build forecasts and analytical reports through quantitative data mining, statistical analyses and empirical evidence using big data sets from the institution, system, state and national data sets. This position will empower enrollment staff with the business intelligence and technology to effectively interact with specific markets, and build targeted strategic recruitment campaigns to yield results. Position will help advance enrollment data collection, organization, modeling and predictive design for a highly selective college admissions process that includes modifying revenue-forecasting models based. This individual will assist in all phases of student consumer research and development and include, but not be limited to, Market Demand Analyses and Forecasting, Applied Microeconomics, Applied Econometrics, Choice Architecture, Behavioral Economics, Labor Economics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, and Marketing (such as primary market research, conjoint analysis). Building close relationships with all departments on campus, national organizations, non-profits and industry to understand data trends, this position is part of a small team that will examine the behavioral economic ecology of college admissions specifically for math and science students within the high school and higher education landscape. A strong sense of humor and curiosity is important.
· Employ statistical / microeconomics / econometrics / behavioral economics to assess and analyze student consumer data by working directly with data sources and the admissions and financial aid office.
· Explore new data sources related to student consumers. Work with various data sources and platforms to gather data.
· Develop analytic frameworks to support research effort in demand forecasting to enhance the University’s capability in making strategic recruitment decisions in a public STEM university and highly competitive market environment.
· Support the deployment of analytical tools to business partners. Maintain and enhance previously developed models and tools.
· Execute both descriptive and inferential ad hoc requests in a timely manner.
· Assist in communicate and present models and analytical results. Help staff uncover hidden opportunities using data and analytics including automation, and machine learning and make recommendations for new metrics, techniques, and strategies to improve admissions and financial aid operations
· Own the design, development, and maintenance of data science models, metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
· Understand business and product strategies, goals and objectives through partnerships with key stakeholders. Set the analytics roadmap to drive the goals of enrollment management.
· Requires a technical thought leader that can dive deep work with internal teams to design and implement next generation, data science architectures.
· Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Manages system projects, reports progress, and identifies and recommends solutions to potential problems
· Position will build time series models to forecast a number of enrollment events. For example, build models to predict future applications of certain segments of the high school market; model the effects of environmental changes on promotion effectiveness with multiple regression.
· Experience using statistical methods to determine outcome variables. The capacity to build models with knowledge of statistical packages (SPSS, Pandas, NumPy, Sklearn, R, or others) to analyze data on STEM college going patterns, student characteristics and correlations with campus or admissions variables (visits, AP, specific HS courses, etc.).
· Recommends and implements process solutions to work in an efficient manner and improve student satisfaction and productivity
· Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
· Self-starter, high level of initiative, detail-oriented and ability to multi-task.
· Strong problem formulation and problem solving skills.
· Strong collaboration and communications skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills and leadership behavior
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Data Science, Economics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related major field of study.
· 3+ years of working experience in a quantitative field such as Economics (applied microeconomics, behavioral/applied econometrics, industrial organization, labor economics), Statistics, Applied Mathematics OR in lieu of work experience, a PhD in same fields
· Master’s or Ph.D. in a quantitative field (economics, ed. psych, data science, applied microeconomics, applied econometrics, industrial organization, labor economics, statistics, or applied mathematics and/or 3-5 years of experience in data science, statistics or economics
· Experience in Machine Learning and advanced statistical techniques
· Skilled in statistical software packages
· Knowledgeable in Python, Java, Scala (or similar scripting language).
· Hands-on experience with visualization tools like Tableau.
· Strong knowledge in Excel reporting (VLookup and pivot tables)
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
· Must possess a valid driver’s license.
· This position requires a criminal background check.
· This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: This position is salary exempt. The normal work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., however, occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be required.
TARGET HIRING SALARY: $55,390 - $69,240, commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled.