Student Life Advisor
Department: Student Life
Location: Corporate College West
Reports To: Director
Recruitment Type: External/Internal
Requisition ID: req632
Employment Type: Part-Time Support Staff
Vacancy Number: PT156-19
Union Position: Union
Work Schedule: Schedule is generally standard College business hours, but may require occasional evenings or Saturday hours
Number of Openings: 1
Works with the Campus Director to develop and implement a comprehensive student life program for assigned campus that meets the needs of a diverse college community. Promotes opportunities for student involvement in student organizations that contribute to the personal growth, development and retention of students.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as campus-based advisor for the student newspaper.
- Oversees the department's leadership certification program, recruiting student participants, coordinating the publicity and promotion of the program, and facilitating leadership workshops.
- Advises the student government on program planning encouraging creativity and innovation. Reviews student academic records to determine eligibility for student leadership positions Serves as campus-based advisor for Student Programming Board.
- Develops and maintains department publications and web sites assisting clubs and organizations.
- Assists with the planning, execution and evaluation of Student Life sponsored events
- Works with Director to develop strategies to ensure effective publicity and promotion of student life activities
- Brings student problems or challenges to the attention of the Director and/or campus Dean of Student Affairs
- Makes recommendations to Director regarding budgetary decisions on programs for the campus, newspaper and leadership program expenses.
- Maintains database on Banner of student newspaper and programming board members and student leadership program participants for Academic Quality Improvement Process (AQIP) reporting.
- Assists with commencement and other college wide events as needed.
- Anticipates and meets all customer needs accurately, professionally, and with a commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of one year of college work experience in student life
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to operate a Macintosh computer, Quark Express, Photoshop, Windows Word, Excel, and a digital camera
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student academic records Sensitivity to respond appropriate to the needs of a diverse population
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, English, or a related field Master's degree
- Newspaper experience including knowledge of First Amendment rights
- Knowledge of prior review/prior constraint in regards to a student newspaper
- Experience coordinating events and activities
- Experience developing and updating web sites
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Must be able to occasionally stand; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and lift up to 25 pounds with assistance. Must be able to regularly walk. Must be able to frequently sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Special vision requirements include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to work in an environment with a moderate noise level and continuous interruptions.
Disclaimer: This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned and does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Special Note:This is a part-time (1199/SEIU) Bargaining Unit Position, Grade 9. Any (1199/SEIU) bargaining unit employees at Cuyahoga Community College will be considered first for vacant positions.
Special Instructions to Applicants: During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement: Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution.