Part-Time Coordinator I, Biology Lab
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499
Responsible for coordination of general functions in the science laboratory environment. Functions include coordination of services, delivery of materials, events, and/or resources, tracking laboratory materials, equipment, and rooms, and assisting with running the lab.
- Communicate with the faculty and other laboratory staff about lab schedules and lab materials. Maintain a constant dialogue between instructors and labs throughout the semester.
- Maintain inventory and quality assurance of lab items, including chemicals, stains, reagents, dyes, media, slides, microscopes, videos, software, models, preserved and living specimens, equipment, and other learning lab materials.
- Provides routine lab support including: preparing chemical solutions, cleaning, inspection and maintenance of lab rooms, maintaining equipment and supplies including preserved and living specimens, microscopes, centrifuges, water baths, models, reagent bottles, glassware, first aid supplies and safety equipment.
- Maintains log and records of MSDS, equipment instructions, keys to models, lab notebooks, chemical usage, etc.
- Direct and monitor laboratory safety protocols to include all aspects of lab safety and preparedness.
- Monitor regulated and bio-hazardous materials and assists or directs the proper disposal of such materials.
- Properly handle, control, and keep diligent records of chemical and bio-hazardous wastes.
- Analyze and improve procedures and practices. Maintain and keep current Hygiene Plan, setup and maintain Right to Know Centers and MSDS.
- Keep current with new technologies and safety regulations.
- Maintain professional working relationships both within the Lone Star College system and with other invested members of the institution.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Must be reliable and committed for the long term.
- Flexible and creative to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of faculty and staff.
- Capable of performing required duties with a minimum of supervision after training.
- Good safety record and safety consciousness.
- Good organizational, leadership, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge and/or experience with infection control policies and procedures and safety regulations (EPA, OSHA).
- Proven astute and broad knowledge of the sciences and related safety protocols for the successful handling of day-to-day operations.
- Ability to work independently with minimum instruction and also cooperatively as a member of a team.
- Physically capable of some heavy lifting and moving, some climbing, and moving rapidly through lab rooms.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to work collaboratively.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community college.
- Demonstrated high-level communication and computer skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to provide quality service to students.
- Minimal physical effort is required
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment.
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position.
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards.
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Posted until filled
- High School diploma and at least 2 years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of core Biology and Chemistry college coursework with demonstrated high academic and lab skill competency; or at least 1 year of related work experiences
- Associate's degree
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
Application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will not be accepted.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 2700 WW Thorne Dr (0100) , 2700 WW Thorne Dr , Houston , 77073
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC North Harris - 01
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Sep 20, 2018, 9:58:28 PM