University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Nutrition
Position #  - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Nutrition, has an opening for a full-time Associate Professor. This opening is for a clinical Medical Director of the integrated, multidisciplinary, comprehensive Lifestyle Medicine Childhood Obesity program. The Medical Director will advance our pursuit of the Lifestyle Medicine program vision through innovative clinical excellence, education, research, and community partnerships. This position will oversee and strengthen a successful multidisciplinary program with principal responsibilities including program coordination, clinical teaching, research, clinical care and development of future programs. In addition, this position will collaboratively work with the Medical Director of the Metabolic Bariatric Surgery program and the Lifestyle Medicine leadership team to maximize the potential of a unique combined medical and surgical childhood obesity program.
Examples of Work Performed:
Lifestyle Medicine Medical Director Role
- Oversee the development and implementation of vision and strategic plan of the Lifestyle Medicine program, including clinics for primary obesity assessment and management that includes medical, diet, activity and behavioral health; and treatment of co-morbidities such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, sleep disorders and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Pursue excellence and competitive advantage in clinical care, education, and research
- Continue to enhance and further foster collaboration between the established medical and surgical weight management programs at Children's Hospital Colorado
- Promote a common vision and cohesion among the Lifestyle Medicine (LM) leadership team, including Directors of LM Endocrinology/Medical Director of Bariatric Surgery, LM Cardiology and LM Nutrition, as well as the LM Program Coordinator
Coordination and Program Development:
- Develop and implement a strategy to increase national visibility as a premier program in childhood obesity treatment
- Partner with the department and hospital business administration to develop comprehensive business analytics for the Lifestyle Medicine program
- Track patient care metrics and outcomes to evaluate clinical effectiveness and assist in program development consistent with department and hospital strategic vision
- Manage development of clinical quality control and improvement initiatives
- Primary outpatient obesity assessment & management
- In-patient consult service for patients admitted for co-morbidities resulting from severe obesity or treatment of obesity as a contributor to other presenting conditions
Clinical Teaching and Research:
- Develop innovative clinical excellence through academic and investigative activities
- Provide academic support through the training of fellows, residents and medical students
- Implement research projects related to the advancement of childhood obesity intervention and treatment
- Assist with publishing high quality scholarly papers and providing research presentations on relevant subject areas/areas of expertise
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills, experience, and rank. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- MD/DO (or equivalent)
- Board Certification or Board Eligible in Pediatrics
- Must be licensed or able to obtain licensure in the State of Colorado by appointment start date
- Clinical experience in childhood obesity and/or co-morbidity management
- Minimum of 7 years of clinical obesity management experience
Condition of Employment
- Must successfully pass a 10-panel drug test
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex offender background check
- Fellowship trained
- Experience in Pediatric Obesity and/or Health Behavior Change
- Pediatric leadership experience in an academic medical setting
- Prior clinical scholarship experience
- Possess experience to hired at the rank of Associate Professor or above in accordance with School of Medicine and Department of Pediatrics policies
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and ability to complete clinical scholarship activities including but not limited to quality improvement processes, evaluations of clinical effectiveness, and research in the area of childhood obesity
- Ability to efficiently consult in both an in-patient and outpatient academic setting with high customer service skills
- Strong working knowledge of pediatric obesity assessment and management
- Strong interpersonal written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse patients, faculty, and other professional colleagues
- Ability and desire to lead an integrated, multidisciplinary Childhood Medical Obesity Program
- Ability to manage clinical quality control and various improvement initiatives
- Knowledge to develop innovative clinical excellence
Special Instructions to Applicants:Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Megan Fink at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20876 - SOM-PEDS Nutrition-SalSvr
Posting Date: Sep 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Megan Fink
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00745464