Professional Research Asst
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
SOM/Department of Emergency Medicine
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Position #7151 - Requisition 14578
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Department of Emergency Medicine seeks a highly-motivated professional research assistant with prior experience in qualitative human subjects research interested in working in a fast-paced and clinically-oriented environment. Emergency Medicine conducts research into areas such as injury prevention, opioid misuse, critical care, mental health, pharmacogenomics, toxicology, global health, and healthcare policy. The Department values applicants who are eager to pursue further training and growth as a researcher and professional. The successful candidate will have a passion for qualitative research, enjoy and excel in patient and clinician interaction, and have a desire to work in a collaborative and driven pool of PRAs. The position will be working on projects within the department involving multiple aspects of the investigator-initiated clinical trial process, including IRB communication, document development, recruitment, consenting, medical history review, conducting interviews, coding data, data abstraction/analysis, and project management. This position will be expected to have a solid understanding of and experience with conducting key informant interviews, developing shared decision-making tools, and using qualitative data management software. Experience with IRBs, EHR systems, and qualitative data collection and analysis is required.
The main duties and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborating with faculty investigators and research staff in Emergency Medicine and other departments and institutions
- Designing documents to develop, test, and implement decision-making tools
- Recruiting and enrolling eligible subjects
- Completing the consent process, including approaching patients or clinicians and explaining study procedures and consent forms, answering questions concerning the studies, and obtaining signatures for informed consent and assent from patients, caregivers, and clinicians
- Conducting key informant interviews and focus groups
- Creating and managing research databases, administering surveys, and coding data
- Abstracting data from patient charts and electronic medical records
- Assisting with submission of applications and applicable documents (protocol, informed consent, etc.) to overseeing Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Assisting with submitting protocols to other regulatory bodies if applicable (i.e. University of Colorado Hospital Research Support Services, scientific review committees, clinicaltrials.gov, etc.)
- Completing other duties necessary for completion of research studies
HIPAA - Access to PHI
HIPAA - Operations
HIPAA - Payment
HIPAA - Research
HIPAA - Treatment
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in basic or social science
- At least 2 years of professional experience as a qualitative research assistant/coordinator
- Proficiency in qualitative data management software (Atlas.ti, Dedoose, etc.)
- Experience in using computer-based tools (Microsoft suite)
- Experience with database management (e.g., Excel, Access, REDCap)
- IRB experience (initial submissions, amendments, continuing reviews, etc)
- Master's degree in social science, public health, or research-related discipline
- Prior experience in an emergency department or inpatient setting
- Prior experience in clinical research
- Medical background (e.g., EMT/Paramedic, nursing, medical assistant, medical technician)
- Project Management experience
- Data analysis skills and experience
- Manuscript writing experience
- Ability to work some holidays and weekends
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to understand and interpret medical terminology and medical charts
- Excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively and work independently
- Excellent team player
- Enjoys working with human research subjects
Special Instructions to Applicants:REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20353 - SOM-Emergency Medicine
Posting Date: Aug 29, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lani Finck
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00007151