Research System Administrator - Information Trust Institute (101767)
Research System Administrator
Information Trust Institute
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Information Trust Institute at the College of Engineering has openings available for Research System Administrators. Reporting to the Senior Associate Director of Technology and Workforce Development, these positions will be part of our advanced development teams that focus on cyber resiliency in critical infrastructure, with a particular focus on cyber range infrastructure. In this role, you will be interfacing with equipment that is typically seen in the management and operations of the electric power grid and interfacing that with cutting-edge networking, storage, visualization, and cloud provisioning to replicate the real world in a contained environment. You will be working to aid in the merging of cyber and physical data, dealing with simulations and emulations, automating configuration and management, reverse engineering functionality and capabilities, and developing the ability to virtualize and emulate "black box" systems are just a few examples of exciting research challenges you will develop infrastructure to support. The focus of this role is to advance the current capabilities, and to integrate non-traditional assets (Operational Technology - OT) into the research automation framework to represent real world infrastructure with varying fidelity. These are DevOps specific roles as part of a larger team, where you'll be expected to maintain and develop highly automated deployment tools and self-service capabilities that aid in the research mission.
This position will take an active role in the administration of research infrastructure; create documentation, project reports, publications, presentations, and other written material to convey project details; engage with students, faculty, and staff in problem identification and solution formation; research applicable technologies to solve project problems and develop programs, utilities, infrastructure, or other tools to accomplish project goals; and to automate, develop and maintain the infrastructure to aid in the expansion of testbed facilities and supporting research in cyber physical systems.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Research (75%)
- Take an active role in the architecture, development, and implementation of testbed capabilities
- Assist in the implementation and administration of research on the testbed
- Oversee testbed operations and work with others to design and implement new features that will improve performance, automation, service, and usability of the research facility
- Set up, maintain, and administer testbed hardware and software and recommend equipment, software, and system architecture approaches to accomplish testbed goals
- Install and provision bare metal, virtualized, and containerized infrastructure as needed to support project needs
- Administer and oversee internal networking to meet testbed needs
- Assume additional research system administrator related duties to further the mission of the institute
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field
- Experience in Windows and/or Linux system administration
- Experience with computer or network security
- Experience with virtualization or containerization approaches
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Software development background in rapid development languages such as python and go
- Strong networking fundamentals and applied knowledge and/or SDN knowledge
- Prior Cisco system experience, including Cisco ASA's and routers
- Distributed source control management experience from the administration side
- Understanding of, and comfort with, both cyber and physical systems. This may include understanding of small electronics wiring, mechanical processes (e.g., relays, PLCs), or electrical test equipment
- Experience working effectively in both a team environment and autonomously in a self-directed and proactive manner
- Interest in emerging technology solutions and ability to apply cutting-edge technology to address testbed goals
- Understanding of cyber security principles and their operational use
- Experience with project management and time management
- Ability to obtain a U.S. national security clearance preferred; an active U.S. national security clearance strongly preferred
The Research System Administrator positions are full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by September 12, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman at [email protected] or 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Title: Research System Administrator - Information Trust Institute (101767)
Open Date: 08/29/2018
Organization Name: Information Trust Institute