PREP Postdoctoral Associate Position at NIST
The Professional Research Experience Program (PREP) is a special partnership between the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and CU Boulder. PREP provides research opportunities to CU undergraduate and graduate students, as well as researchers with a Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in NIST labs to gain research experience alongside NIST scientists.
The Communications Technology Laboratory (CTL) at NIST is looking to fill their THz Electrical Design, Measurement, and Integration Postdoc Position through PREP.
THz Electrical Design, Measurement, and Integration Postdoc Position
Perform and develop metrology for the measurement of high-speed/mm-wave/terahertz modulated optical signals, on-chip amplifiers to 1 THz, and filter manifolds. The candidate will use state-of-the-art on-chip design methods, measurement and integration techniques in the development of mixed optical/electrical circuits operating from DC to 1 THz. Measurements will include on-wafer scattering parameter measurements, and nonlinear electrical measurements.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Measure photomixers, and amplifiers on III-V material systems with on-wafer measurement techniques.
• Develop models on the linear and nonlinear behavior of photomixers and amplifiers.
• Characterize material and device properties using optical, electrical, and imaging techniques.
• Work as a team to integrate photomixers with frequency comb and on-wafer electronics.
• Provide technical input in formulating research solutions on problems which have been recognized as critical obstacles to progress or development in areas of exceptional interest.
• Studies will result in a series of publications, providing important changes to existing products, processes, techniques, or practices.
• Present technical results.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Experience with electrical measurement techniques such as: linear network analysis, four-probe, load-pull, and large signal network analysis.
• Experience with lasers, optical components, frequency generators, spectrum analyzers, and network analyzers
• Ability to code with, or learn to code with: Matlab, Visual Basic, Lab View is required.
• Experience with microwave electronics simulation software (e.g. ADS) is desirable.
• Ability with mechanical and optical design, and fabrication is desirable.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s), Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Curriculum Vitae; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; and 4 - Letter of Recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11107 - Physics - NIST PREP
Posting Date: May 1, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lisa Valencia
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00745650